|Born||1963 (age 51–52)
|Service/branch||Uganda People's Defence Force|
|Commands held||Commander of AMISOM
Artillery Division UPDF
|Battles/wars||Battle of Mogadishu (2010–2011)|
|Born||1963 (age 51–52)
|Alma mater||Indore University
(Diploma in Management Studies)
(Officer Cadet School)
Tanzania Military Academy
(Convoy Commander Course)
Sierra Vista Military Academy
( Platoon Commander Course)
Nanjing Army Command College
(Army High Command Course)
Nasser Military Academy
(Africa Strategic Course)
India Military Academy
(Senior Command and Staff Course)
South African National Defence College
(Executive National Security Course)
|Years active||1982 – present|
|Known for||Military Matters|
Uganda Counter Terrorism Center
Before replacing Major General Nathan Mugisha as commander of AMISOM he was with the Artillery Division in Masindi, Uganda. He was promoted from Brigadier to Major General shortly before taking command over AMISOM.
He currently serves as the Commandant of the newly established Counter Terrorism Center in Uganda. He was appointed to that position in May 2013. Prior to that he served as the Joint Chief of Staff of the Uganda People's Defence Forces. He was replaced, as Joint Chief of Staff, by Major General Wilson Mbadi.
Background and training
He was born in 1963 in Western Uganda. Fredrick Mugisha attended the Officer Cadet Course at Simferopol Academy in the former Soviet Union, from 1988 to 1989. He then attended the Convoy Commander Course at Monduli Military Academy in Tanzania, in 1997. In 2000, he attended the Platoon Commander Course at the Sierra Vista Military Academy in Arizona, United States of America. From 2003 until 2004, he attended the Army High Command Course at Nanjing Army Command College in China. He then attended the Africa Strategic Course at Nasser Military Academy in Egypt, in 2005. The next year, in 2006, he attended the Senior Command and Staff Course at the India Military Academy at Mahadipladesh, in 2006. In 2008, he attended the National Defense College, in South Africa.
General Fred Mugisha has held several positions in the Uganda People's Defense Forces (UPDF), including the following:
- From 1987 to May 1988, he served as Communications Officer of a Battalion at the rank of APC.
- From 1990 to 1995, he served as Security and Combat Intelligence Officer at the rank of Lieutenant
- From 1995 to 1997, he served as Second in Command of Artillery and Air Defense at the rank of Captain
- From 1997 TO 1998, he was the Intelligence and Security Officer of an Army Division at the rank of Major.
- From 1999 to 2000, he was the Division Intelligence and Security Officer at the rank of Major.
- From 2000 to 2001, he served as Director Combat Intelligence and Security at the rank of Major,
- From March 2001 to December 2001, he was Deputy Chief of Military Intelligence and Security at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
- From 2002 to 2004, he was Division Operations and Training Officer at an Artillery Division, at the rank of Colonel
- From 2005 to 2011, he was the Commander of the Artillery Division, stationed at Masindi, at the rank of Brigadier.
- In August 2011, he was promoted to the rank of Major General and posted to Mogadishu, Somalia until 2012, as the Commander of AMISOM.
- From 2012 until May 2013, he served as the Joint Chief of Staff of the UPDF at the rank of Major General
- From May 2013, he was replaced as Joint Chief of Staff by Major General Wilson Mbadi and assigned to the position of Commandant of the newly established National Counter Terrorism Center.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (June 2015)|
He is married with children. He is of the Christian faith.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fredrick Mugisha.|
- Nathan Mugisha
- Wilson Mbadi
- Uganda People's Defence Forces
- National Defence College, Kenya
- African Union Mission to Somalia
- Nuune Rashid, and Odowa Mohamed (1 July 2011). "3000 African Union Troops Arrive In Mogadishu". SomaliaReport. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Kasasira, Risdel (18 April 2011). "UPDF To Send New Commander To Somalia". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Observer, Team (29 May 2013). "New Guard Takes Charge of UPDF In New Changes". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Karugaba, Mary (23 April 2013). "Boarding Section In Army Schools Phased Out". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Kakaire, Sulaiman (29 May 2013). "The New Army Big Wigs: Who Are They?". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- AMISOM News, . (September 2011). "Change of Guard; Major General Fred Mugisha Takes Over As AMISOM Force Commander". African Union Mission to Somalia (AMISOM). Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- AMISOM, News (September 2011). "The Military Career of General Frederick Mugisha". African Union Mission to Somalia (AMISOM). Retrieved 2 November 2014.