29 August 1955 |
|Residence||Bugoloobi, Kampala, Uganda|
|Alma mater||Makerere University
(Bachelor of Laws)
Law Development Centre
(Diploma in Legal Practice)
University of Edinburgh
(Master of Laws)
|Occupation||Lawyer & Politician|
|Years active||1981 — present|
|Title||State Minister for Justice|
Fredrick Ruhindi, more commonly known as Freddie Ruhindi or Fred Ruhindi, is a Ugandan lawyer and politician. He was Attorney General of Uganda from 1 March 2015 to 2016. Between 2 June 2006 and 28 February 2015, he served as the State Minister for Justice & Constitutional Affairs in the Ugandan Cabinet. He has served in that capacity since 2006. In the cabinet reshuffle of 16 February 2009, and that of 27 May 2011, he retained his cabinet post. He is also the elected Member of Parliament representing Nakawa Division in Kampala District.
Background and education
He was born on 29 August 1955. He attended Mbarara High School for his O-Level education, graduating with the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) in 1973. He studied at Ntare School for his A-Level studied, graduating with the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) in 1975. He holds the degree of Bachelor of Laws from Makerere University, Uganda's oldest University, established in 1922. He also holds the Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre in Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest metropolitan area. His Master of Laws degree was obtained from the University of Edinburgh.
For a period of eleven years, between 1981 until 1992, Fred Ruhindi worked as a State Attorney, in the Ministry of Justice & Constitutional Affairs. He was then transferred to the Uganda Investment Authority, where he served as Corporation Secretary, from 1992 until 1999. He entered politics in 2001 and was elected to parliament to represent Nakawa Division, Kampala District. He was re-elected in 2006. He has served as State Minister for Justice & Constitutional Affairs since 2006. From June 2006 until February 2015, he also served as the Deputy Attorney General of Uganda. In a cabinet reshuffle on 1 March 2015, he was appointed the Attorney General of Uganda.
- Uganda State House, . (1 March 2015). "Full Cabinet List As At 1 March 2015" (PDF). Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Mukasa, Henry (2 June 2006). "Cabinet Ministries Allocated". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 11 December 2014. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Newvision Archive, . (18 February 2009). "Full Cabinet List As At 18 February 2009". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 13 February 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Uganda State House, . (27 May 2011). "Comprehensive List of New Cabinet Appointments & Dropped Ministers". Facebook.com. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- POU, . (2011). "Profile of Ruhindi Fredrick, Member of Parliament for Nakawa Division, Kampala District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 14 February 2015.