This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Number of locations
There are currently three Fred Segal locations in the United States. The new global flagship is in Sunset Blvd, Malibu, and the third location is at LAX’s Thomas Bradley International Terminal. In September 2018, Fred Segal stores opened in Switzerland (4 stores), Taipei, and Kuala Lumpur.
Over five decades ago, Fred Segal opened a local jeans-only store. This 300-square-foot store grew over the years, and with the expansion, Segal invited key managers to purchase and run select boutiques within their respective area of merchandising expertise within the Fred Segal center offering them to participate as franchisees under the Fred Segal Brand. These franchisees brought in the style and merchandise that eventually know collectively as "Fred Segal."
In May 2012, the worldwide licensing rights to the brand were acquired by SANDOW, a company with brands spanning the design, fashion and beauty sectors. In late 2012, SANDOW announced Fred Segal's expansion strategy to open new flagship locations, both internationally and domestically, launch Fred Segal’s first e-commerce site, and create private merchandise lines.
In September 2017, Fred Segal opened their domestic flagship store on the corner of Sunset and La Cienega in West Hollywood, CA.
March of 2019, Fred Segal is bought by Global Icons and Jeff Lotman is Chairman. Global Icons, a brand licensing firm that has worked to promote names like Vespa scooters and Fireball Whisky, is acquiring Fred Segal LLC for an undisclosed sum. Evolution Media, an investment firm created by Creative Artists Agency and TPG Capital, will maintain a minority stake.
With the additional investment and support from the worldwide Global Icons team, Fred Segal will continue its growth within three key areas. First, will be the expansion of the existing Fred Segal collection of apparel and accessories. Second, the opening of additional retail locations in international territories, bringing LA culture to new and loyal fans, with collections curated for the local markets. Last, Fred Segal will look to grow its licensing across different verticals ranging from home décor to accessories.
Fred Segal offers a fun, one-of-a-kind community destination inspired by the eclectic LA scene with expertly curated lifestyle and fashion brands. At the forefront of experiential retail, Fred Segal has been known for discovering up and coming designers along with bringing together many of the industry's most exciting collaborations, Fred Segal has launched some of the biggest names in beauty and apparel.
Fred Segal opened then newest store in April 2019 in Malibu, the ninth in its fleet. Stores are currently spread across California, Switzerland, Taipei and Kuala Lumpur.
In popular culture
- In the 1987 movie Maid To Order, Ally Sheedy's spoiled Beverly Hills Brat character Jessie Montgomery mentions shopping at Fred Segal.
- In Clueless, Cher asks her maid when trying to put together an outfit for her drivers license test, "Lucy! Where's my white collarless shirt from Fred Segal?!"
- It is in Entourage Episode 1, Season 1 "The Pilot," the first scene takes place in Fred Segal Melrose.
- It is mentioned as a meeting point for "Stupid Girls" in the 2006 single by Pink.
- In Bret Easton Ellis's Less Than Zero, Fred Segal is mentioned several times. Clay, the protagonist, thinks that all English boys he meets work at Fred Segal.
- In Legally Blonde, Elle Woods, played by Reese Witherspoon, relates the following story to her new classmates at Harvard: "Oh, Two Weeks ago, I saw Cameron Diaz at Fred Segal, and I talked her out of buying this truly heinous angora sweater. Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed!"
- In White Oleander, Fred Segal is one of the many Hollywood stores that Claire Richards takes Astrid Magnussen to for clothing.
- In The Game, where Neil Strauss, the author, buys his first set of hip clothes.
- In The L Word during a flashback, Alice sees Dana in the Fred Segal cafe, which she uses as evidence Dana is gay, as it is "The biggest lezzy hangout in LA". It's also mentioned while Shane is doing work for Veronica Bloom "...Fred Segal haircut".
- In Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita, Kaitlin Burke, a famous star, claims that her favorite store is Fred Segal.
- In The Closer, Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson mentions that Sergeant Gabriel "likes his suits from Fred Segal", a fact which is noted by the medical examiner in a later episode.
- In "Cracker Ass Fantastic" by Dirt Nasty, he raps "Have you ever been to Fred Segal's?"
- In Zoey Deans' books like the A-List & Talent
- In The O.C. Season 3, Episode 8, "The Game Plan", Summer is looking at Brown University and Taylor says, "I hear the Ivys often recruit from Fred Segal."
- In Beverly Hills, 90210 Season 1, Episode 19, "April Is The Cruelest Month", Brenda finds Donna shopping there.
- In the song "Ka-Blamo!" by The Lonely Island, Fred Segal is mentioned in the lyrics: "You met Fred Segal at a debutante's ball!"
- In the movie Boiler Room the character Jim Young played by Ben Affleck makes mention of his Fred Segal necktie while speaking to trainees about how to pitch stocks effectively
- On "Dawson's Creek", Season 5 Episode 23, Audrey (Busy Philipps) tries to persuade Joey (Katie Holmes) to go to Los Angeles, saying, "There's always Fred Segal." She goes on to describe it as "heaven on Earth."
- "Legendary L.A. Retailer Fred Segal Opens Malibu Outpost". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-04-06.
- Fred Segal's new deal Women's Wear Daily
- "Inside the New Fred Segal Flagship Opening in L.A. This Week". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Global Icons | Global Brand Licensing Agency". Retrieved 2019-04-06.