|Born:||April 8, 1957|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||277 lb (126 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||1979 / Round: 2 / Pick: 32|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Frederic Charles Smerlas (born April 8, 1957) is a former American football defensive lineman who was a 5-time NFL Pro Bowl selection during 14-year career as a nose tackle with the Buffalo Bills, San Francisco 49ers, and New England Patriots.
Smerlas, of Greek-American descent, graduated from Waltham High School in 1975, where he was a star football player and wrestler. He became a defensive lineman for Boston College before embarking on an NFL career. His 1990 autobiography, By a Nose, recounts his eleven years with the Buffalo Bills and their climb from cellar-dwellers to Super Bowl contenders.
Smerlas currently resides in Massachusetts and is a part-time co-host during football season on sports radio WEEI-FM, NBC Sports Boston - The New England Tailgate Show, as well as a contributor to western New York radio station [WHAM (AM) in Rochester
Fred & Steve's Steakhouse
Smerlas, along with friend and colleague Steve DeOssie, opened a second place award-winning steakhouse at the Twin River Casino in Lincoln, Rhode Island in March 2007 called Fred & Steve's Steakhouse.
In 2010, Smerlas expressed an interest in relocating to Western New York to challenge Brian Higgins or Louise Slaughter, believing that they have not adequately represented Western New York or the upstate region as a whole. He indicated that his son was considering attending the University at Buffalo, and if he were to relocate, he may run either in 2010 or 2012, later ruling out a 2010 run. He said that his first priority "would be to take a big saw and cut New York City off."
- Fred Smerlas and Vic Carucci, By A Nose: The Off-Center Life of Football's Funniest Lineman, Simon And Schuster, 1990. ISBN 0-671-70532-6
- Fred Smerlas Football at the Wayback Machine (archived October 27, 2009)
- Fred Smerlas Buffalo Hall of Fame
- Fred Smerlas Statistics
- Fred Smerlas Boston College
- All Pro tailgate party Home Page
- Doyle, Bill (January 18, 2007). "DeOssie likes Pats Sunday". Worcester Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved May 2, 2007.
- "Smerlas For Congress? He Says Maybe... - WBEN NewsRadio 930 : Buffalo & Niagara Falls, NY". Wben.com. Archived from the original on June 14, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Rich Newberg Posted by: Eli George (March 29, 2010). "Will former Bill make a run for office". WIVB.com. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter