Fred Van Lente
|Fred Van Lente|
February 14, 1972 |
Marvel Zombies 3
Marvel Zombies 4
Van Lente is the co-founder, along with artist Ryan Dunlavey, of Evil Twin Comics, which produces his and Dunlavey’s non-fiction comic books, the first and most famous of which is Action Philosophers.
Recent work includes becoming the ongoing co-author of Incredible Hercules with Greg Pak, as well as writing Marvel Zombies 3 and Marvel Zombies 4. with Kev Walker and X-Men Noir with Dennis Calero. Upcoming work includes two one-shots as part of Marvel Zombies Return. He also wrote the first issue of Deadpool Team-Up (number #899 as it was counting backwards from the #900 special).
Van Lente and New York Innovative Theatre Awards-winner Crystal Skillman co-authored and staged "King Kirby," a play based on the life of innovative comics creator Jack Kirby. "King Kirby" was staged at Brooklyn's Brick Theater as part of its annual Comic Book Theater Festival. The play was a New York Times Critics' Pick selection and was funded by a widely publicized Kickstarter campaign.
- "Tranquility in The Big Date" (with Steve Ellis, in Negative Burn #40, Caliber Comics, 1996)
- The Silencers: Black Kiss (with Steve Ellis, 2-issue mini-series, Moonstone Books, 2003, tpb, 2005, ISBN 978-1-933076-01-0)
- Action Philosophers (with Ryan Dunlavey, Evil Twin Comics, April 2005 – July 2007) collected as:
- Scorpion: Poison Tomorrow (with Leonard Kirk, in Amazing Fantasy #7–12, Marvel Comics, June–November 2005, tpb, 2005, ISBN 978-0-7851-1712-4)
- Cowboys & Aliens (with co-author Andrew Foley and art by Luciano Lima, graphic novel, Platinum Studios, 2006, ISBN 978-1582407241)
- Watchdogs (with Brian Churilla, Platinum Studios, 2007, ISBN 978-1-934220-05-4)
- The Weapon (with Scott Koblish, 4-issue mini-series, Platinum Studios, June–September 2007)
- Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #21–24, 33–36 (with Cory Hamscher, Marvel Comics, 2007, 2008) collected as:
- Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four Vol. 6: Monsters & Mysteries (with Clay Mann, Marvel Comics, 2007, ISBN 978-0-7851-2380-4)
- Marvel Adventures Iron Man Volume 1: Heart of Steel (with James Cordeiro, Marvel Comics, 2007, ISBN 978-0-7851-2644-7)
- The Incredible Hercules #112–141 (with co-author Greg Pak and art by Khoi Pham, Rafa Sandoval, and others, Marvel Comics, 2008–2010) collected as:
- Against The World (collects Incredible Hulk #112 and Incredible Hercules #113–115 and "Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide", 136 pages, hardcover, July 2008, ISBN 0-7851-3312-7, softcover, October 2008, ISBN 0-7851-2533-7)
- Secret Invasion (collects Incredible Hercules #116–120, hardcover, November 2008, ISBN 0-7851-3333-X, softcover, March 2009, ISBN 0-7851-2829-8)
- Love and War (collects Incredible Hercules #121–125, 128 pages, hardcover, March 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3334-8, softcover, June 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3246-5)
- Dark Reign (collects Incredible Hercules #126–131, 160 pages, hardcover, October 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3830-7)
- Hercules: Fall of an Avenger #1–2 (with co-author Greg Pak and art by Ariel Olivetti, Marvel Comics, March–April 2010)
- Marvel Zombies 3 (with Kev Walker, 4-issue limited series, Marvel Comics, December 2008 - March 2009, TPB, 104 pages, hardcover, May 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3635-5, softcover, December 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3526-X)
- X-Men Noir (with Dennis Calero, 4-issue limited series, Marvel Comics, February–May 2009)
- Marvel Zombies 4 (with Kev Walker, 4-issue limited series, Marvel Comics, June 2009 - ongoing, hardcover, November 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3917-6)
- Marvel Zombies Return (Marvel Comics):
- Marvel Zombies Return: Spider-Man (with artist Nick Dragotta, one-shot, 2009)
- Marvel Zombies Return: Avengers (with artist Wellington Alves, one-shot, 2009)
- Silent But Deadly( with Dalibor Talajic, in Deadpool #900, Marvel Comics, December 2009)
- Deadpool Team-Up #899 (with Dalibor Talajic, ongoing series, Marvel Comics, January 2010)
- Heroic Age: Prince of Power #1-4 (with Greg Pak, and art by Reilly Brown, Marvel Comics July–October 2010)
- Odd Is On Our Side (with Dean Koontz, and art by Queenie Chan, Del Rey Books, October 2010)
- Shadowland: Power Man (with Mahmud Asrar, 4-issue mini-series, Marvel Comics, October 2010 - January 2011)
- Power Man and Iron Fist (with Wellinton Alves, 5-issue limited series, Marvel Comics, April–July 2011)
- "The Chosen" (with Alessandro Vitti, in Fear Itself: The Home Front #5-7, Marvel Comics, October–December 2011)
- Archer & Armstrong #1-ongoing, Valiant Comics, May 2012-Ongoing
- Ivar, Timewalker 12-issue limited series, Valiant Comics, January 2015-December 2015
- Ten Dead Comedians: A Murder Mystery, July 2017, ISBN 1-5947-4974-4
Van Lente's industry awards include Action Philosophers receiving a Xeric Grant in 2004; it was also nominated for an Ignatz Award in 2005 and 2006. The American Library Association named Action Philosophers a "Great Graphic Novel for Teens" in 2007. His "super crime" series The Silencers was named "Best Independent Super Hero Comic" by Broken Frontier in 2003.
- Theater in the Now: Spotlight on...Fred Van Lente Retrieved 2018-05-20.
- GREEK WEEK Part IV- Pak & Van Lente on Herc's Past & Future, Comic Book Resources, March 20, 2008
- WWPhilly Fred Van Lente Takes a Bite of Marvel Zombies Archived 2008-10-02 at the Wayback Machine., Wizard, May 31, 2008
- WW Philly: Fred Van Lente Writes "Marvel Zombies 3", Comic Book Resources, June 1, 2008
- WW PHILLY '08: Fred Van Lente on Marvel Zombies 3, Newsarama, June 1, 2008
- Van Lente talks Marvel Zombies 3, Comic Book Resources, September 5, 2008
- Zombies in Florida: Fred Van Lente on Marvel Zombies III, Newsarama, October 3, 2008
- Richards, Dave (March 20, 2009). "Fred Van Lente Talks Marvel Zombies 4". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Ekstrom, Steve (March 31, 2009). "Back for Four: Fred Van Lente on Marvel Zombies 4". Newsarama. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Fear And Hatred: Van Lente & Calero on "X Men Noir", Comic Book Resources, September 9, 2008
- Fred Van Lente & Dennis Calero on X Men Noir, Newsarama, September 17, 2008
- Brownfield, Troy (June 22, 2009). "The Zombies – This Time, With Literate Roots". Newsarama. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- Richards, Dave (September 18, 2009). "Van Lente Talks "Deadpool Team-Up"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved May 26, 2010.
- Richards, Dave (May 11, 2010). "Van Lente on "Shadowland: Power Man"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- Rogers, Vaneta (May 11, 2010). "An All-New POWER MAN Bursts out of the Marvel's SHADOWLAND". Newsarama. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- Richards, Dave (July 22, 2010). "CCI EXCLUSIVE: Van Lente's New "Power Man & Iron Fist"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- Ching, Albert (July 23, 2010). "SDCC 2010: POWER MAN & IRON FIST: Reunited For The 1st Time". Newsarama. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- Richards, Dave (December 15, 2010). "Van Lente Buddies Up With "Power Man & Iron Fist"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- Webster, Andy (June 22, 2014). "The Amazing Adventures of Pencil Man". New York Times. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- "Project of the Day: King Kirby". May 23, 2014. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- "King Kirby: A Play by Crystal Skillman and Fred Van Lente". ISBN 9781499288490.
- McGovern, Adam (April 4, 2007). "Watchdog review". comiccritique.com.
- Sims, Chris (July 16, 2014). "Harvey Awards Announces 2014 Nominees". Comics Alliance. Archived from the original on October 6, 2014. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fred Van Lente.|
- Official website
- Fred Van Lente at the Comic Book DB
- The Weapon for free at Drunk Duck
- Watchdogs for free at Drunk Duck
- Career-spanning interview at The Comic Book Gazette
- Interview with Fred and Ryan Dunlavey at comiXology
- The Outhouse Interview: Fred Van Lente, The Outhouse, December 21, 2009
- First Class Comic Review #1 – July 2010 (firstclasscomicreview.moonfruit.com)