Fred Warner (American football)
|No. 48 – San Francisco 49ers|
|Born:||November 19, 1996|
San Marcos, California
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||236 lb (107 kg)|
|High school:||Mission Hills|
(San Marcos, California)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 3 / Pick: 70|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 8, 2018|
Fred Warner (born November 19, 1996) is an American football linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at BYU and was drafted by the 49ers in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
High school career
Warner attended Mission Hills High School, located in San Marcos, California. In his high school career, he was named to the All-California First Team by USA Today, the Cal-Hi Sports All-State First Team, the Avocado East League Defensive Player of the Year and the All-San Diego Section Defensive Player of the Year.
Coming out of high school, Warner was a four-star recruit according to Rivals.com, Scout.com, 247Sports.com and ESPN.com. Warner was rated as the 15th best outside linebacker in the nation by Rivals.com. According to Scout.com he was 27th best outside linebacker in the nation. 247Sports.com rated Warner as the 26th best outside linebacker in the nation. ESPN.com ranked him as the 37th best outside linebacker in the nation. He signed to BYU on February 5, 2014 but was also recruited by Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, California, Nebraska, New Mexico State, USC, Utah, Washington, and Washington State.
Warner stepped into the starting role as a sophomore, making 67 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, two interceptions and four fumble recoveries.
As a junior, Warner recorded 86 total tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, three interceptions (returning one for a touchdown), two forced fumbles and six pass breakups.
As a senior, Warner was named as the team captain and lead the team with 87 total tackles, nine tackles for loss, one sack, along with one interception, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and five pass breakups. In four years at BYU, Warner was a three-year starter and registered 264 total tackles, 32 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, seven interceptions (returning two for touchdowns), five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and 13 pass breakups. His seven career interceptions rank second in school history among linebackers.
On November 20, 2017, it was announced that Warner had accepted his invitation to play in the 2018 Senior Bowl. On January 27, 2018, Warner recorded six combined tackles as part of Denver Broncos' head coach Vance Joseph's North team that lost 45–16 to the South coached by Houston Texans' head coach Bill O'Brien. His overall performance throughout the week impressed scouts and helped him add value to his draft stock. He attended the NFL Scouting Combine and completed all of the combine drills. He finished 13th among all linebackers in the 40-yard dash, eighth in the bench press, ninth in the short shuttle, and sixth in the three-cone drill. Warner attended pre-draft visits and private workouts with multiple teams, including the San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos, and Buffalo Bills. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Warner was projected to be a second round pick by the majority of NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked the fourth best outside linebacker in the draft by Scouts Inc. and was ranked the sixth best outside linebacker by DraftScout.com.
|Free Warner's NFL Combine Workout|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 3⁄8 in
|9 3⁄4 in
|4.64 s||1.55 s||2.65 s||4.28 s||6.90 s||38 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 11 in
|All values from NFL Draft|
|49ers draft Fred Warner 70th overall|
In his first career game against the Minnesota Vikings, he started as the middle linebacker and recorded 12 total tackles (11 solo tackles), 1 pass defended, and 1 forced fumble.
- "Prospects that have accepted invites to 2018 Senior Bowl". NFL.com. November 20, 2017. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Judd, Brandon (January 27, 2018). "BYU's Fred Warner registers 6 tackles to lead three locals at Senior Bowl". DesertNews.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "NFL Combine: Top Performers". NFL.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Harper, Mitch (March 4, 2018). "NFL Combine 2018: Fred Warner Results & Video". cougarsportswire.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Fucillo, David (April 17, 2018). "Report: 49ers hosted LB Fred Warner on official pre-draft visit a day before LB Roquan Smith". ninersnation.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Talbort, Ryan (April 22, 2018). "2018 NFL Draft: Which prospects have the Buffalo Bills met with?". newyorkupstate.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Heath, Jon (April 5, 2018). "Broncos will host LB/DB Fred Warner on pre-draft visit". broncoswire.usatoday.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Fred Warner, DS #6 OLB, Brigham Young". draftscout.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "NFL FRED Warner -ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "NFL Draft Prospect Profile - Fred Warner". nfl.com. March 1, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Bringham Young OLB Fred Warner : 2018 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved May 12, 2018.
- Fann, Joe (April 27, 2018). "San Francisco 49ers Draft BYU LB Fred Warner". 49ers.com. Retrieved July 4, 2018.
- "Spotrac.com: Fred Warner contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.