Smith at the 41st Daytime Emmy Awards.
March 19, 1988 |
|Years active||2008 - present|
Freddie Matthew Smith (born March 19, 1988) is an American television actor. He is known for his portrayal as Marco Salazar in the new franchise of 90210 aired on The CW. He is best known for his character Sonny Kiriakis, the first openly gay contracted role of the daytime soap opera Days of Our Lives.
After graduating from Edgewood Senior High School just outside Ashtabula, Ohio in 2006, Freddie moved to Los Angeles, beginning his acting career in 2008 appearing a cameo role in the paranormal series Medium playing a Senior Boy which is uncredited during that episode.
He appeared in the short film titled Weak Species co-starring Erik Smith and in the film One Wish released in 2010. He also has done commercials for Kay Jewelers, Taco Bell, Carl's Jr, McDonalds and Verizon.
On January 9, 2011 it was reported that he had joined the cast of the CW series 90210, in a recurring role as Marco, a gay soccer player who will become involved with Teddy Montgomery (Trevor Donovan). He appeared in 5 episodes of the third season including the season finale. On July 17, 2011 The CW announced that Freddie Smith, Marco, will not return in season 4 as Teddy's boyfriend, having broken up with him over the summer. Besides 90210, he took up the role of Jackson "Sonny" Kiriakis in Days of Our Lives, the first openly gay contracted character in the hit daytime soap opera (Ryan Scott had previously played the non-contract, openly gay role of Harold Wentworth between 2000-2003). In 2013, Freddie received his first Daytime Emmy Award nomination in the Outstanding Younger Actor category.
On October 6, 2014, Smith crashed his car in Kingsville Township, Ohio, near his alma mater, critically injuring his passenger, Alyssa Tabit. He pleaded guilty to vehicular assault and DUI and was sentenced on February 18, 2015.
He was sentenced to 2 years probation and had his driving license suspended for 1 year. He also has to pay $1400 in fines. Alyssa Tabit wrote a letter to the judge asking for Smith to be spared prison. 
|2010||One Wish||Sara's Boyfriend|
|2008||Medium||Senior Boy||Episode: "But for the Grace of God"|
|2011||90210||Marco Salazar||5 episodes|
|2011-||Days of Our Lives||Jackson "Sonny" Kiriakis||Contract role
Nominated — Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series
|2013||Addicts Anonymous||Gary Goldberg||6 episodes|
Awards and nominations
- Waldron, Robert (August 30, 2011)."Sonny Days". Soap Opera Digest, p.45.
- Terry, Shelley (October 8, 2014). "Soap opera star crashes car in Kingsville Township". Star Beacon. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- jaayro (2 May 2009). "Weak Species (2009)". IMDb. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- TERRY, SHELLEY (January 25, 2012). "Edgewood graduate in Valentine’s TV commercial". Star Beacon.
- "Freddie Smith joins cast *minor spoilers*". TV.com. CNET. December 9, 2010. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Z., Martha (December 9, 2010). "90210 - Freddie Smith joins cast". SpoilerTV.com. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Martin, Denise (Jul 17, 2011). "90210 Season 4 Spoilers! Is Teddy Gone? Can Adrianna Be Redeemed? Will Naomi Have a Baby?". TVGuide.
- Rice, Lynette (Jun 17, 2011). "Official: 'Days of Our Lives' begins gay storyline -- EXCLUSIVE". EW.
- Di Lauro, Janet (June 15, 2013). "25 Facts About Freddie Smith".
- Reiher, Andrea (May 1, 2013). "2013 Daytime Emmy Awards nominations: 'Young and the Restless' leads with 23". Zap2it. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Terry, Shelley (February 19, 2015). "Smith avoids jail time in drunk driving crash". Star Beacon. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Towner, Myriah (February 20, 2015). "'Days of Our Lives' actor gets probation for drunk driving crash after mother of girlfriend he critically injured begs judge not to send him to prison'". Daily Mail. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Daytime Emmy Award - 2013 nominations". May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 1, 2013.