Frederic M. Wheelock
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Frederic Melvin Wheelock
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Occupation||Professor of Classics, Florida Presbyterian (now Eckerd) College|
Frederic Melvin Wheelock (September 19, 1902 in – October 29, 1987) was an American Latin professor, who is best known for his authorship of Wheelock's Latin.
He taught at Haverford College, Harvard University, the City College of New York, Brooklyn College, Cazenovia Junior College (where he served as dean), the Darrow School for Boys, the University of Toledo (from which he retired in 1968, being a full professor), and Florida Presbyterian College (where he served as visiting professor). Wheelock was a member of the American Classical League, American Philological Association and the Classical Association of the Atlantic States.
On August 14, 1937, he married Dororthy Elizabeth Rathbone (1909–1990), daughter of James Colburn Rathbone (1881–1983) and Lillian Ford Reynolds (maiden; 1883 – about 1952). His two children are Martha Ellen Wheelock and Deborah Wheelock Taylor, who continued his legacy as teachers. His grandchildren are Vanessa Taylor Sands and Ian Taylor. Ralph Wheelock (1600–1683) was Frederic's paternal 7th great-grandfather.
Wheelock wrote a number of papers and reviews in the areas of textual criticism, paleography, and Latin studies. Some of his works include:
- Wheelock's Latin
- Wheelock's Latin Reader, previously titled Latin Literature: A Book of Readings
- Introduction and annotations of Quintilian as Educator (translated by H. E. Butler)
Biographies of Wheelock written by Ward Briggs appear in the book A Biographical Dictionary of American Classicists (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1994) and in The Classical Outlook (winter 2003 issue).
- "Dr. Frederic M. Wheelock; Professor, 85". The New York Times. 1987-11-10. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Frederic M. Wheelock". HarperCollins Publishers: World-Leading Book Publisher. Retrieved 2020-04-20.
- "The Official Wheelock's Latin Series Website". www.wheelockslatin.com. Retrieved 2020-04-20.
- Wheelock, Frederic M. (2011). Wheelock's Latin, 7th Edition. New York: Collins Reference.
- Wheelock, Frederic M (2001). Wheelock's Latin reader: selections from Latin literature. Wheelock, Frederic M., LaFleur, Richard A. (2nd ed. / rev. by Richard A. LaFleur ed.). New York: HarperResource. ISBN 0-06-093506-5. OCLC 47744470.
- Wheelock, Frederic M (1969). Latin literature: a book of readings. New York: Barnes & Noble Books. ISBN 0-06-460080-7. OCLC 5675844.CS1 maint: date and year (link)
- Biography of Frederic Melvin Wheelock provided by Wheelockslatin.com
- Frederic M. Wheelock at the Database of Classical Scholars