She holds a Masters of Theological Studies from Virginia Theological Seminary (1977) and an honorary Doctor of Letters from King University (2019). She and her family converted to Orthodoxy from the Episcopal Church in 1993. She writes about Orthodoxy with a humorous, storytelling style, and has been called "an Orthodox Garrison Keillor."
She has also been active in the pro-life movement: she is a past vice-president of Feminists for Life of America. She also served on the steering committee of the Common Ground Network for Life and Choice, an organization that brought pro-life and pro-choice partisans together in dialogue. 
Frederica has been a wide-ranging author, with 10 books to her credit as well as 800 essays, in publications as diverse as the Washington Post, Christianity Today, Smithsonian, and the Wall Street Journal. She has been a regular commentator for National Public Radio (NPR), a columnist for the Religion News Service, Beliefnet.com, and Christianity Today, and a podcaster for Ancient Faith Radio. (She was also a consultant for Veggie Tales.)
She has appeared as a speaker over 600 times, including such sites as Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Wellesley, Cornell, Calvin, Baylor, and Westmont. She has been interviewed over 700 times, including such venues as PrimeTime Live, the 700 Club, NPR, PBS, Time, Newsweek, and the New York Times. She lives with her husband, the Rev. Gregory Mathewes-Green, in Johnson City, TN. Their three children are grown and married, and they have fifteen grandchildren.
Her books include:
- Welcome to the Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity, 2015.
- The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer that Tunes the Heart to God, 2009.
- Mary as the Early Christians Knew Her: the Mother of Jesus in Three Ancient Texts, 2007. (Original title, The Lost Gospel of Mary.)
- First Fruits of Prayer: A Forty-Day Journey Through the Canon of St. Andrew, 2005. A devotional book for the Orthodox season of Great Lent.
- Facing East: A Pilgrim’s Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy, 1997. Recounts her experience as a convert to Orthodoxy.
- At the Corner of East and Now: A Modern Life in Ancient Christian Orthodoxy, 1999. A sequel to Facing East.
- The Illumined Heart: The Ancient Christian Path of Transformation, 2001. A spiritual book.
- The Open Door: Entering the Sanctuary of Icons and Prayer (Pocket Faith Series, 4), 2003. A devotional book focusing on icons.
- Gender: Men, Women, Sex and Feminism, 2002.
- Real Choices: Listening to Women, Looking for Alternatives to Abortion, 1994.
- "Frederica Mathewes-Green". Facebook.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "At the Corner of East and Now".
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2006-10-27.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The Common Ground Network for Life and Choice Manual" (PDF). Sfcg.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 June 2007. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Frederica Mathewes-Green|