Frederick I, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach|
|Margrave of Ansbach|
|Margrave of Kulmbach|
8 May 1460|
|Died||4 April 1536
|Spouse||Sophia of Poland|
Johann, Viceroy of Valencia
William, Archbishop of Riga
John Albert, Archbishop of Magdeburg
Sofie, Duchess of Legnica
Anna, Duchess of Cieszyn
Elisabeth, Margravine of Baden-Durlach
Barbara, Landgravine of Leuchtenberg
|House||House of Hohenzollern|
|Father||Albert III, Margrave of Brandenburg|
|Mother||Anna of Saxony|
Frederick I of Ansbach and Bayreuth (also known as Frederick V; German: Friedrich II. von Brandenburg-Ansbach-Kulmbach or Friedrich der Ältere; 8 May 1460 – 4 April 1536) was born at Ansbach as the eldest son of Albert III, Margrave of Brandenburg by his second wife Anna, daughter of Frederick II, Elector of Saxony. His elder half-brother was the Elector Johann Cicero of Brandenburg. Friedrich succeeded his father as Margrave of Ansbach in 1486 and his younger brother as Margrave of Bayreuth in 1495.
Family and children
On 14 February 1479 at Frankfurt (Oder) he was married to Sophia of Poland (6 April 1464 – 5 October 1512), daughter of King Casimir IV of Poland by his wife Elisabeth of Habsburg, and sister of King Sigismund I of Poland. They had seventeen children:
- Kasimir, Margrave of Bayreuth (27 September 1481, Ansbach – 21 September 1527, Buda).
- Elisabeth, died young.
- Margarete (10 January 1483, Ansbach – 10 July 1532).
- Georg "der Fromme" (4 March 1484, Ansbach – 27 December 1543, Ansbach).
- Sofie (10 March 1485, Ansbach – 24 May 1537, Liegnitz), married on 14 November 1518 to Duke Frederick II of Legnica.
- Anna (5 May 1487, Ansbach – 7 February 1539), married on 1 December 1518 to Duke Wenceslaus II of Cieszyn.
- Barbara, died young.
- Albert of Prussia (17 May 1490, Ansbach – 20 March 1568, Castle Tapiau), Grand Master of the Teutonic Order and later first Duke of Prussia.
- Frederick (13 June 1491, Ansbach – ca. 1497).
- Johann, Viceroy of Valencia (9 January 1493, Plassenburg – 5 July 1525, Valencia).
- Elisabeth (25 March 1494, Ansbach – 31 May 1518, Pforzheim), married in Pforzheim on 29 September 1510 to Margrave Ernest of Baden-Durlach.
- Barbara (24 September 1495, Ansbach – 23 September 1552), married in Plassenburg on 26 July 1528 to Landgrave George III of Leuchtenberg.
- Frederick (17 January 1497, Ansbach – 20 August 1536, Genoa), a canon in Würzburg and Salzburg.
- Wilhelm, (30 June 1498, Ansbach – 4 February 1563, Riga), Archbishop of Riga in 1539-63.
- John Albert (20 September 1499, Ansbach – 17 May 1550, Halle), Archbishop of Magdeburg from 1545 to 1550.
- Frederick Albert, died young.
- Gumprecht (16 July 1503, Ansbach – 25 June 1528, Naples), a canon in Bamberg.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Frederick I, Margrave of Brandenburg-AnsbachBorn: 8 May 1460 Died: 4 April 1536
|Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach
|Margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach
- Marek, Miroslav. "House of Hohenzollern". Genealogy.EU.