Frederick IX, Count of Hohenzollern
|Friedrich IX, Count of Hohenzollern|
|Spouse(s)||Adelheid of Hohenberg-Wildenberg|
|Noble family||House of Hohenzollern|
|Father||Friedrich VIII, Count of Zollern|
|Died||between 1377 and 1379|
Friedrich IX, Count of Hohenzollern (d. between 1377 and 1379), nicknamed "Fredrick the Old" or "the Black Count", was a German nobleman. He was the ruling count of Hohenzollern from 1339 until his death.
He was the second son of Count Friedrich VIII. In 1339, he succeeded his older brother Fritzli II as Count of Hohenzollern.
On 27 July 1342, he closed a treaty of agnatic seniority with the Zollern-Schalksburg line, in which the senior of the two counts should decide who would be the next holder of the original fief of Zollern. As Friedrich commanded a larger military power, he became a captain of the Lion League, an important organisation of Swabian noblemen.
In 1344, Friedrich IX divided the inheritance with his younger brother Friedrich of Strasbourg. Friedrich IX founded the "Black Count" line, which ended with the death of his son Friedrich X in 1412. In 1412, the Strasbourg line founded by his brother inherited the county; they were later raised to Princes of Hohenzollern.
Marriage and issue
In 1341 Fredrick IX married Adelheid (d. after 1385), a daughter of Count Burchard V of Hohenberg-Wildenberg, with whom he had the following children:
- Friedrich X, the younger Black Count (d. 1412), Count of Hohenzollern, married Anna of Hohenberg (d. 1421)
- Adelheid (d. 1415), married Johann of Stralenberg (d. 1408)
- Friedrich "Easter Sunday" I (d. 1407/10)
- Anna (d. 1418), a nun in Königsfeld
- Sophia (d. 1418), a nun in Stetten
- Graf Rudolph Stillfried-Alcántara and Traugott Maercker: Hohenzollerische Forschungen, C. Reimarus, 1847, p. 178 ff
- E. G. Johler: Geschichte, Land- und Ortskunde der souverainen teutschen Fürstenthümer Hohenzollern Hechingen und Sigmaringen, Stettin'sche Buchhandlung, Ulm, 1824, Online
- Gustav Schilling: Geschichte des Hauses Hohenzollern in genealogisch fortlaufenden Biographien aller seiner Regenten von den ältesten bis auf die neuesten Zeiten, nach Urkunden und andern authentischen Quellen, Fleischer, Leipzig, 1843, Online
- Die Gesetzgebung für die hohenzollern'schen Lande seit deren Vereinigung mit der Krone Preussen: nebst den bezüglichen Staats-Verträgen, geschichtlichem Rückblicke, Uebersicht der Genealogie, Behörden und Literatur der hohenzollern'schen Geschichte und Landeskunde, Wolff, 1857, p. 7 (Online)
Frederick IX, Count of HohenzollernBorn: before 1339 Died: between 1377 and 1379
as Count of Zollern
|Count of Hohenzollern
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|