Frederick Larson (filmmaker)
Frederick A. "Rick" Larson is an American lawyer and law professor who investigated the Star of Bethlehem and gave presentations around the world and then made a documentary film, The Star of Bethlehem about his findings.
The Star of Bethlehem
Larson used Starry Night astronomy computer program after he became interested in the Christmas Star because he needed to produce one for the Magi he made as Christmas decorations for his yard, but did not know what to create.
Larson became intrigued with the Star after reading astronomer Craig Chester's article, based in part on the work of Ernest Martin about the Bethlehem Star being a possible actual event. Chester, a co-founder of the Monterey Institute for Research in Astronomy, thought the planetary conjunctions of 2 BC were a more plausible explanation for what the Magi would have seen than events found in earlier dates. Larson thinks astronomical events in 3-2 BC fit the evidence found in the Bible. He also believes King Herod the Great died in 1 BC, although others, including astronomer David Hughes, and astronomer Mike Molnar, believe Herod died in 4 BC.
Larson examined the biblical account in the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 2 and located nine qualities of Bethlehem's Star: It signified birth, it signified kingship, it was related to the Jewish nation, and it rose "in the East"; furthermore, King Herod had not been aware of it; it appeared at an exact time; it endured over time; and, according to Matthew, it was in front of the Magi as they traveled south from Jerusalem to Bethlehem, and then it stopped over Bethlehem.
After investigating the Star of Bethlehem, Larson made a second film which has not yet been released.
Larson graduated from the University of Southern California, earned his Juris Doctor degree at the University of Southern California Law Center, and has taught at Texas A & M University. He founded the STAR project, a nonprofit organization that promotes unity among Christians of many denominations.
- Rick Larson’s Biography. Christian Book Previews. Retrieved on December 29, 2015.
- Lawton, Kim. "Star of Bethlehem". Interview with Rick Larson. PBS, Religion & Ethics Newsweekly. December 21, 2007. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Christian Cinema. "The Star of Bethlehem: A Magnificent Obsession". Frederick Larson interview. November 24, 2009. Retrieved December 22, 2015
- Lawton, Kim. "Christmas star debate gets its due on Epiphany". USA Today. January 5, 2008.] Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Chester, Craig. "The Star of Bethlehem". Imprimis. Reprinted December 1996 with editorial changes. 25(12). PDF; scroll to December 1996 and click. Originally printed 1993. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Martin, Ernest. 1991. The Star that Astonished the World. ASK Publications. Free to read online, for personal study only. Other uses prohibited. Retrieved on December 23, 2015.
- Chester, Craig. "The Star of Bethlehem". Imprimis. December 1993, 22(12). Originally presented at Hillsdale College during fall 1992. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Scripps Howard News Service. "Astronomer Analyzes The Star Of Bethlehem". The Chicago Tribune. December 24, 1993. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Foust, Michael. "Bethlehem Star: both natural & miraculous?" Baptist Press. December 14, 2007. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Ellis, Rebecca. "Star of Wonder". BBC News. Site page last updated on December 23, 2008, on retrieval date. Retrieved on December 23, 2015.
- Matthew chapter 2 on Bible Gateway. Amplified Version with footnotes. Retrieved on December 22, 2015.
- Herzog, Travis. "Did the Star of Bethlehem exist?" abc13 Eyewitness News. December 20, 2007. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Matthew chapter 2, verse 2. Bible Hub with commentaries. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Matthew chapter 2, verse 3 on Bible Hub. Includes commentaries. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Matthew chapter 2 verse 7 on Bible Hub. Includes commentaries. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Matthew chapter 2, verses 2-10 on Bible Hub Whole chapter and commentaries. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Gospel of Matthew chapter 2 verse 9 on Bible Hub. Includes commentaries. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Ireland, Michael. "Evidence emerges for Star of Bethlehem’s reality". Assist News Service. Christian Headlines. October 18, 2007. Retrieved on December 19, 2015.
- Southern, Nathan. Review summary, The Star of Bethlehem (2007). The New York Times. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- The Passion of the Christ awards and nominations. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved on December 23, 2015.
- Braveheart awards and nominations. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved on December 23, 2015.
- Parker, Paula K. "From the Star of Bethlehem to the Christ Quake". BuddyHollywood. November 20, 2015. Retrieved on April 1, 2016.
- Herd, Aimee. "BCN Interview with Rick Larson". Breaking Christian News. November 30, 2009. Retrieved on January 6, 2016.
- Standring, Suzette Martinez. "Star of Wonder—it was real". The Canton Repository. December 10, 2010. Retrieved January 6, 2016.