Frederick George Slessor
Sidmouth, Devon, England
|Died||15 October 1905|
|Known for||Designing and building railways|
Frederick George Slessor (1831–1905) was a British railway engineer who worked in England, India, South Africa, and continental Europe.
Slessor was born in 1831 in Sidmouth, Devon, England to Major General John Henry Slessor. He attended the Sherborne School and later trained as civil engineer as a pupil of M. W. Peniston M. Inst. C.E..
In December 1874, following nomination by Sir Charles Hutton Gregory, he was appointed by Cape Government Railways, first as Chief Officer of Surveys and Resident Engineer, and then as Chief Resident Engineer of the Eastern system. After 16 years' service at the Cape he retired on a pension and returned to Britain.
- Reports by Mr. Slessor, Chief Resident Engineer and Mr. Tilney, Locomotive Superintendent of the East London and Queens's Town Railway, of Trials of Coal from the Indwe and Molteno Mines. South Africa: Cape of Good Hope. 1880. with J D Tilney
- Report of His Recent Examination of the Country to be Traversed by a Junction Line Between the Midland and Eastern Railways. Cape of Good Hope (South Africa): Richards. 1886.
- Sherborne Register 1842, p. 41.
- "Minutes of the proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: volume 168, issue 1907, pp. 354–355: Obituary, Frederick George Slessor, 1831-1905". ICE virtual library. Institution of Civil Engineers. 2015. doi:10.1680/imotp.1907.17311. ISSN 1753-7843. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- "Cultural & Historical interest". Archived from the original on 26 September 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Raper 1989, p. 56.
- Queenstown Free Press & 21 September 1882.
- Marriage Registers 1867.
- "Marriages". Exeter and Plymouth Gazette. 20 September 1867. p. 5 col F. Retrieved 27 September 2014 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- Civil Engineer Records, 1820-1930 [database on-line], London: Institution of Civil Engineers, 2013 – via Ancestry.com
- "We regret to hear of the death of Mrs SLESSOR". Queenstown Free Press. 21 September 1882.
- Raper, P. E. (1989). Dictionary of Southern African Place Names. Jonathan Ball Publishers. ISBN 978-0-947464-04-2.
- "Brief Biographies of Mechanical Engineers". steamindex.com. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Sherborne School Register". 1842. p. 41. Retrieved 26 September 2014 – via Findmypast.
- "England & Wales marriages 1837-2008". England & Wales marriages 1837-2008 Transcription. 1867. Retrieved 26 September 2014 – via Findmypast.