Frederick Edward Walton (13 March 1834 – 16 May 1928), was an English manufacturer and inventor whose invention of Linoleum in Chiswick was patented in 1863. He also invented Lincrusta in 1877.
Walton was born in 1834, near Halifax.
Invention of Linoleum
In 1860, he established an experimental factory in Chiswick where he worked on oxidisation of linseed oil, fr which he was granted a patent in 1860.. He experimented with the oxidized oil as a replacement for rubber and in 1863 patented this new material. Walton called this new cloth "linoleum". He moved his factory for Staines, and in 1864, formed the Linoleum Manufacturing Company and by 1869 the factory in Staines was exporting to Europe and the United States.
Expansion to America
Walton obtained further patents for processes related to the production of linoleum. In 1863, he patented a method of passing sheets of coloured linoleum through rollers to emboss a pattern on them. In 1882, he patented machinery to make inlaid mosaic floor coverings. He also invented a number of related products, most notably Lincrusta, an embossed wall-covering base on linoleum, launched in 1877.
Walton died in 1928, aged 94.
In 1867, Walton married Alice Scruby. They had four children:
- Olive Mary Walton. Born 1871. Author and Photographer. Married Herbert Vivian in 1897.
- Frederick James Walton, born 1877.
- Clarice Walton, born 1879.
- Violet Walton.
- Company, Frederick Walton and (1881). Lincrusta. The Sunbury wall decoration. LCCN unk82056986.
- Walton, Frederick (1925). The infancy and development of linoleum floorcloth.
- "C&EN Archives". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Today in Science History. Retrieved 28 February 2014
- Jones, M.W. (21 Nov 1918). The history and manufacture of floorcloth and linoleum. Society of Chemical Industry.
- "The Floorcloth and Linoleum Industry". Scottish Bankers Magazine. 5. 1913.
- Powell, Jane; Linda Svendsen (2003). Linoleum. Gibbs Smith. ISBN 1-58685-303-1.
- "Marriages". Morning Post. 22 March 1867.
- "Frederick Walton's Household Members", United States Census, 1871; Isleworth; roll 118, page 24,.
- "Frederick Walton's Household Members", United States Census, 1881; Twickenham; roll 92, page 20,.
- "News". Cambrian News. 26 August 1887.
|This United Kingdom business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|