Frederick XI, Count of Hohenzollern
|Friedrich XI, Count of Hohenzollern|
|Spouse(s)||Adelheid of Fürstenberg-Zindelstein|
|Noble family||House of Hohenzollern|
|Father||Friedrich of Strasbourg|
|Mother||Margaret of Hohenburg-Wildenburg|
|Died||26 November 1401|
Friedrich XI, Count of Hohenzollern (died 26 November 1401), nicknamed Friedrich the Elder was a German nobleman. He was a member of the House of Hohenzollern and a ruling Count of Hohenzollern-Hechingen.
Friedrich was the younger son of Count Friedrich of Strasbourg, from his marriage to Margaret, the daughter of Count Burchard V of Hohenberg-Wildenberg.
He was a member of the Lion League, which joined the Swabian League of Cities in 1382. When the latter clashed with Count Eberhard II of Württemberg, Friedrich XI managed to break off the services he had promised to Count Eberhard.
Friedrich XI died in 1401, and was buried in the Hohenzollern crypt in Stetten Abbey.
Marriage and issue
Before 12 January 1377, Friedrich XI married Adelheid (d. 1413), a daughter of Count Hugo of Fürstenberg-Zindelstein. Her brother Johann was the last Count of Fürstenbert-Haslah. Johann died childless in the Battle of Sempach of 1386, and Friedrich XI inherited Bräunlingen from him, which gave rise to a lengthy dispute with the main line of the Fürstenberg family.
From his marriage with Adelheid, Friedrich had the following children:
- Friedrich XII (d. 1443), Count of Hohenzollern, married in 1407 Anna of Sulz (d. 1438)
- Eitel Friedrich I (d. 1439), Count of Hohenzollern, married in 1432 to Ursula Razüns (d. 1477)
- Anna, a nun
- Friedrich, a canon in Strasbourg
- Friedrich (d. 1436), Bishop of Constance as Friedrich III
- Friedrich, a monk
- Count Rudolph Stillfried-Alcántara and Traugott Maercker: Hohenzollerische Forschungen, C. Reimarus, 1847, p. 203 ff.
- E. G. Johler: Geschichte, Land- und Ortskunde der souverainen teutschen Fürstenthümer Hohenzollern Hechingen und Sigmaringen, Stettin'sche Buchhandlung, Ulm, 1824, Online
- Gustav Schilling: Geschichte des Hauses Hohenzollern in genealogisch fortlaufenden Biographien aller seiner Regenten von den ältesten bis auf die neuesten Zeiten, nach Urkunden und andern authentischen Quellen, Fleischer, Leipzig, 1843, Online
Frederick XI, Count of HohenzollernDied: 26 November 1401
|Count of Hohenzollern-Hechingen