This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2017)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
4.7.0 / 19 July 2018
|Written in||C and Python|
|Operating system||Linux / Unix|
|License||GNU General Public License|
FreeIPA is an Identity management system. It aims to provide an easily managed Identity, Policy, and Audit (IPA) system. FreeIPA is the upstream open-source project for Red Hat Identity Manager.
- Integrated security information management solution combining Linux (Fedora), 389 Directory Server, MIT Kerberos, NTP, DNS, Dogtag certificate system, SSSD and others.
- Built on top of well known Open Source components and standard protocols
- Strong focus on ease of management and automation of installation and configuration tasks.
- Full multi master replication for higher redundancy and scalability
- Extensible management interfaces (CLI, Web UI, XMLRPC and JSONRPC API) and Python SDK
As of 2018[update] FreeIPA uses 389 Directory Server for its LDAP implementation, MIT's Kerberos 5 for authentication and single sign-on, the Apache HTTP Server and Python for the management framework and Web UI, (optionally) DogTag for the integrated CA, and BIND with a custom plugin for the integrated DNS server. Since version 3.0.0, FreeIPA also uses Samba to integrate with Microsoft's Active Directory by way of Cross Forest Trusts.
Each of the major components of FreeIPA operates as a pre-existing Free-Software/Open-Source project, the bundling of these components into a single manageable suite with a comprehensive management interface is GPLv3, but that does not change the licences of the components.
- List of LDAP software
- Active Directory
- Apple Open Directory
- Identity management
- List of single sign-on implementations
- FreeIPA 4.7.0 Release Announcement
- C Coding Style - Free IPA
- Python Coding Style - Free IPA
Negus, Christopher; Foster-Johnson, Eric (2011). Fedora Bible 2011 Edition: Featuring Fedora Linux 14. Indianapolis: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781118085738. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
The "IPA" part of FreeIPA stands for identity (identifying and authenticating users and machines), policy (settings for access control of applications and machines), and audit (methods for collecting and auditing security events, logs, and user activities).
- Red Hat Identity Manager: Part 1 – Overview and Getting started
- "Home page for the Dogtag Certificate System". 2015-01-20. Retrieved 2015-01-20.
- "Releases/4.7.0 - FreeIPA". www.freeipa.org. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
- "Releases/4.6.4 - FreeIPA". www.freeipa.org. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
- "Releases/4.6.3 - FreeIPA". www.freeipa.org. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- FreeIPA 4.6.2 Release Announcement
- "Releases/4.6.1 - FreeIPA". www.freeipa.org. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "Releases/4.6.0 - FreeIPA". www.freeipa.org. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- FreeIPA 4.0.0 Release Announcement
- FreeIPA 3.0.0 Release Announcement
- FreeIPA 2.0.0 Release Announcement