|Developer(s)||FreePBX Project |
Sangoma Technologies Corporation
|Initial release||November 28, 2004|
15 / October 31, 2019
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD|
|Available in||English, Bulgarian, Chinese, German, French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Spanish, Japanese|
|License||AGPL v3 and GPL v3|
FreePBX is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3. It is a component of the FreePBX Distro, which is an independently maintained Linux system derived from the source code of the CentOS distribution, having Asterisk pre-installed. It is also included in various third-party distributions such as The FreePBX Distro and AsteriskNow.
FreePBX is a community of developers and contributors who devote their work to making complicated phone system software easy to use and functional.
Many of the songs that are preinstalled are made by artist Macroform.
FreePBX can be installed as standalone software, or as part of a pre-configured FreePBX Distro that includes the operating system, the Asterisk PBX, FreePBX, and assorted dependencies:
The first FreePBX release, version 0.2 (November 28, 2004), was named the Asterisk Management Portal (AMP). The project was renamed to FreePBX for trademark reasons, as Asterisk is a registered trademark of the Digium corporation, a subsidiary of Sangoma Technologies Corporation.
New releases of Asterisk have been accommodated by various updates to FreePBX. Updates have included new menus and support for additional capabilities such as voice mail, calling queues, fax, multiple languages, DAHDI and a local user directory.
Current versions are:
- FreePBX 2.11 – Completed 2013-05-14- – Adds support for Asterisk 11, Destination popOvers, Module Admin Security Auditing, Chan Motif Module, WebRTC User Control Panel
- FreePBX 12 – Previous Release 2014-06-23- – Adds support for Asterisk 12&13, New User Control Panel, Module Admin version control, PJSIP Support
- FreePBX 13 - Previous Stable - adds responsive GUI, support for Asterisk 13, Call Event Logging CEL and reporting, fwconsole CLI system management, Enhanced Bulk User Management, expanded localization support for audio and sound files, and a new global search option.
- FreePBX 14 - Previous Stable
- FreePBX 15 - Stable Adds a new REST and GraphQL API. Adds a rebuilt backup module and a new Filestore module.
FreePBX supports numerous hardware manufacturers, including Aastra Technologies, Algo, AND, AudioCodes, Cisco Systems, Cyberdata, Digium, Grandstream, Mitel, Panasonic, Polycom, Sangoma, Snom, Xorcom, and Yealink. FreePBX developers estimate the distro has been deployed in millions of active PBX systems in over 220 countries and territories.
- Madsen, Leif; Jim Van Meggelen; Russell Bryant (2013). Asterisk: The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition (4th ed.). O'Reilly Media. p. 800. ISBN 978-1-4493-3242-6.
FreePBX, the juggernaut of the Asterisk community. This interface (which is at the heart of many of the most popular Asterisk distributions, such as AsteriskNOW, Elastix, the FreePBX Distro, and PBX in a Flash), is unarguably a very large part of why Asterisk has been as successful as it has. With the FreePBX interface, you can configure and manage many aspects of an Asterisk system without touching a single configuration file. While we purists may like everyone to work only with the config files, we recognize that for many, learning Linux and editing these files by hand is simply not going to happen. For those folks, there is FreePBX, and it has our respect for the important contributions it has made to the success of Asterisk.
- "FreePBX project in OpenHub". BlackDuck. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Schmooze Com Acquires FreePBX & SIPSTATION". Schmooze Com. February 22, 2013.
- Gomillion, David Merel, Barrie Dempster, David (2009). Asterisk 1.6 build feature-rich telephony systems with Asterisk. Birmingham, U.K.: Packt Pub. ISBN 9781847198631.
Making Asterisk Easy to Manage; CentOS; Preparation and installation; What is FreePBX?; FreePBX preparation and installation; FreePBX System Status Dashboard; Tools
- "Milestone 2.11 - FreePBX - Trac". FreePBX. Retrieved 2013-05-26.
- "The Release of FreePBX 15". FreePBX Community Forums. Retrieved 2019-04-17.
- snom Phones Now Interoperable with Schmooze Com, Inc. Unified Communications Systems (press release), 2012, PR Web
- Telephony features... TMC.net