|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Genres||Hip hop, neo soul, pop rock|
|Years active||2009 - present|
|Labels||Tennman Records, Interscope|
Elliot "E" Ives
DJ Charlie White
FreeSol is an alternative soul band from Memphis, Tennessee.
The name, “FreeSol”, refers to a state of mind - a freedom of expression - with a main objective of never conforming to the usual way of doing things. Armed with this philosophy, FreeSol toured the country playing gigs of all sizes, and competing (i.e., the Mid-South Grammy Showcase, Turner South's My South Rocks competition, The Rock Boat's Grand Championship show, and the BMI Urban Music Showcase).
The band was formed in 2003 when the lead singer/MC, Free first met Premo D'Anger ( keys/bass), Kickman Teddy (drums) and a month after Elliott Ives (guitar/vocals) in a studio. Growing up surrounded by the musical landscape embedded in Memphis’ history, all four of them were influenced by a variety of sounds, from blues to rock to hip-hop and back again. Their influences range from Three 6 Mafia to Isaac Hayes but they also like Outkast, Coldplay, Foo Fighters among others.
In 2004, the band released its first album 11:11 which was produced by Carlos "6 July" Broady through Memphis Records.
In 2006, Justin Timberlake, also a Memphis native, saw FreeSol perform at a little jazz cafe in their hometown. Shortly thereafter, he signed them to his upstart label, Tennman Records. Justin Timberlake was soon able to secure them a major deal with Interscope Records. In 2009, DJ Charlie White joined the group.
Most recently, FreeSol has been working with a variety of producers such as Cool & Dre (Lil’ Wayne, The Game), Jim Jonsin (Beyoncé, Pitbull), Mike Elizondo (Dr. Dre, Eminem), Dave Tozer (Jay-Z, Kanye West), and Timbaland in order to record their debut album No Rules. The album is scheduled for release in October 2011.
In October 2011, a music video for the song "Role Model" featuring Justin Timberlake was released. In addition, the track "Fascinated" which features Timberlake and Timbaland also dropped the same day.
- Free – lead singer, lyricist
- Elliott Ives – guitar, vocals
- Premo D'Anger – keyboards, bass guitar
- Kickman Teddy – drums
- Charlie White - DJ
- 11:11 (Album) (2004)
- MasterPiece: A Rize 2 Da Top (Mixtape) (2009)
- RocknRolla' (Mixtape) (2010)
- No Rules (2012)
- Crosley, Hillary (September 1, 2011). "Justin Timberlake Introduces FreeSol to New York". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- May, Jenny (July 19, 2011). "FreeSol exlusive interview". Band Weblogs. Retrieved September 2, 2011.
- "11:11 - Free Sol (2004)". Billboard. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- "Twitter / FreeSol: The date as of now id Oct 11th but...". Twitter.com. August 29, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- "FreeSol Releases Video For "Hoodies On, Hats Low"". Artist Direct. August 16, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- "Twitter / FreeSol: S/O to the two other directors, Aaron Platt & Joe Toman, of "Hoodies On, Hats Low" that have gone unnoticed until now!". Twitter.com. August 16, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- "Entourage S7 Ep 83 - Bottoms Up : Music". HBO. Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- Gayles, Contessa (October 20, 2011). "Justin Timberlake Attempts to Rap and Look 'Hard' in FreeSol's 'Role Model' Video". AOL Music Blog. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- Sager, Jessica (October 21, 2011). "FreeSol, 'Fascinated', Feat. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland – Song Review". PopCrush. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
|This article on a United States R&B/soul music band, group, or collective is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|