This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The main character is Felix in story Free Baseball, by Sue Corbett. This adventure is about a boy and his love for the game of baseball. Felix is a Cuban boy who crossed borders by boat with his mother at the age of 3. When Felix enters a radio contest and wins two tickets to a local minor league baseball game his journey begins . Felix gets supposedly separated from his babysitter who took him to the game and decides to stowaway on the opposing team bus. He did this because the miracle, the opposing team, had a Cuban player on the team that might be able to tell Felix about his father, a famous baseball player on the Cuban national team that stayed back from crossing borders. Felix called his mom and told her he was staying over a friend’s house. Felix pretends to be the bat boy.
Corbett had the idea for the book after an incident at a baseball game, when she became separated from her daughter karina and was able to find her as all of the children were wearing the cok (the team name) team shirts.
School Library Journal described the novel as an "engaging, well-written story with a satisfying ending." The Topeka Capital-Journal called it a "wonderful mix of self-discovery and baseball." Kids Reads thought that Felix was a "richly drawn character".
Awards and nominations
- 2006 Selected by the Junior Library Guild
- 2008 Nominated for the Rhode Island Children's Book Awards
- 2008 Nominated for the Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award
- 2008 Nominated for the Young Hoosier Book Award (final results not yet announced)
- 2008 Nominated for the Virginia Readers Choice Award (final results not yet announced)
- 2009 Nominated for the Nutmeg Book Award (final results not yet announced)
- 2009 Nominated for the South Carolina Children's Book Award (final results not yet announced)
- "Author Interview: Sue Corbett on Free Baseball". Cynthia Leitich Smith.BlogSpot.com. 2006-02-06. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Grades 5 & Up". School Library Journal. 2006-02-01. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Soothe baseball fever with words". The Topeka Capital-Journal. 2006-07-11. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Free Baseball by Sue Corbett". Kids Reads. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Junior Library Guild
- Rhode Island Children's Book Awards
- Maryland's Black-Eyed Susan Book Award
- Young Hoosier Book Award
- Virginia Readers Choice Award
- Nutmeg Book Award
- South Carolina Children's Book Award