Free File Alliance
The Free File Alliance is a group of tax preparation companies which operate a public-private partnership with the Internal Revenue Service to provide free electronic tax filing services to United States tax payers meeting certain guidelines. The Free File Alliance claims that the program benefits American taxpayers by providing services that would cost the IRS money to provide if online tax filing were administered directly by the IRS. The IRS stipulates filers must have an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $69,000 or less for tax year 2019, but participating companies have their own requirements and restrictions.
While many of the Free File Companies offer free state income tax returns, some companies do charge additional fees of $10 to $30 to electronically file state returns.
In order to receive a free federal tax return the taxpayer must first go to https://www.irs.gov/freefile.
- Free File
- Tax preparation in the United States
- IRS e-file
- Income tax in the United States
- Public-private partnerships in the United States
- "Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free". irs.gov. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- "Free File Alliance Explained". freefile.com. Retrieved 2016-09-04.
- phuong_cat_le (March 20, 2008). "File your taxes free, but read carefully". seattlepi.com. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- EIN 452609992
- Perez, William (August 5, 2016). "Reviews of Free Tax Preparation Programs". thebalance.comaccess-date=2016-09-04.