Vol. 35 issue 5 cover.
(within the U.S.)
|Publisher||Council for Secular Humanism|
Free Inquiry is a bi-monthly journal of secular humanist opinion and commentary published by the Council for Secular Humanism, which is part of the Center for Inquiry. Philosopher Paul Kurtz was the editor-in-chief until his death in October 2012  and Thomas W. Flynn is the current editor. Feature articles cover a wide range of topics from a freethinking perspective. Common themes are separation of church and state, science and religion, dissemination of freethought, and applied philosophy. Regular contributors include well-known scholars in the fields of science and philosophy.
In Free Inquiry's April–May 2006 issue, the magazine published four of the cartoons that had originally appeared in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten and that had sparked violent worldwide Muslim protests. Kurtz, editor-in-chief of Free Inquiry said, "What is at stake is the precious right of freedom of expression". The Borders Group refused to carry this issue in their Borders and Waldenbooks stores because of the cartoons. The reason given by Borders for their decision was not sensitivity to religion but fear of violence.
The story made national and international news and the implications of this self-censorship were widely discussed, including by CBS News, the Washington Post, and the New York Times. The "blogosphere" widely condemned the decision of Borders to ban the magazine and columnist Christopher Hitchens lamented the action in an article. News of the affair spread as widely as The Times of India.
Regular columnists include:
- Editor in Chief: Paul Kurtz (until May 2010)
- Editor: Thomas W. Flynn
- Associate Editors: Norm R. Allen Jr., Nathan Bupp, Austin Dacey, D.J. Grothe, R. Joseph Hoffmann, David Koepsell, John R. Shook
- Managing Editor Deputy Editor: Andrea Szalanski
- "The bull fighter". City Newspaper (Rochester, NY). 2002-09-18.
- Borders, Waldenbooks Won't Carry Magazine, Carolyn Thompson, Associated Press Writer, March 29, 2006
- Two Chains Reject Magazine With Muhammad Cartoons, Associated Press, March 30, 2006
- Borders Blasts Back On Controversial Cartoons, AP, March 31, 2006
- Weiss, Michael (2006-03-31). "Calling 911 on 9/11". Slate.com. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- Hitchens, Christopher (2007-06-25). "Look Forward to Anger". Slate.com. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- "Magazine with Prophet toons shunned". The Times of India. 2006-03-30. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- "Free Inquiry Staff, Detailed Publication Information, and Guidelines For Authors". Free Inquiry. 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- "FREE INQUIRY Founder, Editor in Chief Paul Kurtz Resigns". Free Inquiry, vol. 30 issue 5. CSH. July 18, 2010. Retrieved July 25, 2015.