Free Lossless Image Format
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Internet media type|
|Uniform Type Identifier (UTI)||public.flif|
|Initial release||3 October 2015|
(28 April 2017)
Free Lossless Image Format (FLIF) is a lossless image format (current version FLIF16 specification) claiming to outperform PNG, lossless WebP, lossless BPG and lossless JPEG 2000 in terms of compression ratio on a variety of inputs.
The first stable version of FLIF was released in September 2016.
FLIF uses the reversible YCoCg color space (unlike Y′CBCR that loses some color information to rounding errors, independently of its use in otherwise lossy JPEG). Not yet implemented are some features, e.g. other "color spaces (CMYK, YCbCr, ...)". The color space conversion is faster, but the overall decoding (and encoding) is still slower than it needs to be, or some of the competition, even with the better color space as that is only a small fraction of the overall process. The format supports an optional alpha channel (RGBA) like PNG (but unlike JPEG); and progressive coding, similar to PNG (unlike it, progressive compression doesn't increase file-size), but as FLIF's algorithm is more complex (and partly, may not have had as much tuning of the implementation yet), it has a higher computational cost; at least lower bandwidth requirements can offset some of that extra time. Progressive coding reduces FLIF's performance.
FLIF has 1 to 16 bits per channel.
FLIF has some parameters, and can result in differently sized images, with tuning, or done by
flifcrush tool. All of those images are still lossless. FLYF (for lossY), is also considered, and that would be the file-ending; while both could describe either and ending just used to indicate.[incomprehensible]
UGUI-FLIF supports preview and converting PNG file to FLIF.
- "Release v0.1-alpha". FLIF-hub/FLIF. 2015-10-03.
- "Release v0.3". FLIF-hub/FLIF. 2017-06-07.
- "FLIF is a New Free Lossless Image Format That Raises the Compression Bar". PetaPixel. 2015-10-02. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "Free Lossless Image Format (FLIF)". 2015-09-06. Archived from the original on 2015-09-12.
- "Release v0.2". FLIF-hub/FLIF. 2016-09-22.
- Pierre-Emmanuel Gougelet (2016-11-08). "XnView 2.39". XnView. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- Phil Harvey (2016-10-19). "ExifTool Ancient History". ExifTool. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "UGUI: FLIF Download". flif.info. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- Irfan Skiljan (2018-12-12). "History of IrfanView Changes/Versions: [4.52 current 2018-12-12]". Retrieved 2018-12-28.
- Kuki Dent (2018-12-13). "IrfanView 4.52 has been released today -IrfanView Support Forum". Retrieved 2018-12-28.
- FLIF – official site
- FLIF on GitHub
- FLIF at Open Hub
- Phew – native macOS FLIF viewer
|This graphics software–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|