Free Now (service)
|Predecessors||myTaxi, Hailo, Clever Taxi|
|Germany, UK, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Austria|
|Eckart Diepenhorst, European CEO of Free Now|
Mark Berg, CEO of Free Now 
|Products||Taxi e-hailing marketplace, mobile commerce network|
|Owner||BMW Group and Daimler AG|
Number of employees
|Over 700 (2019)|
Free Now is a mobility provider headquartered in Hamburg, Germany. Free Now was formed in February 2019 from the joint venture between BMW and Daimler Mobility, and Marc Berg is CEO of the Free Now Group.
The Free Now Group is the ride-hailing vertical of this joint venture; other services within the vertical include Beat, Clever, Hive and Kapten. Free Now is one of the largest e-hailing companies in Europe. The service was founded in 2009 and previously known as Hailo and myTaxi. On July 1, 2019 myTaxi was rebranded to Free Now serving over 100 European cities including Madrid, Berlin, Dublin, Paris and London. Free Now customer care and support teams operate from Dublin, Hamburg, Madrid, and Warsaw among other European cities. The CEO of Free Now Europe is Eckart Diepenhorst. The UK General Manager is David Savage, and the General Manager in Ireland is Alan Fox.
mytaxi was founded by German entrepreneurs Niclaus Mewes and Sven Külper. Later that year, the pair founded the legal entity behind mytaxi, Intelligent Apps. In September 2014, Daimler acquired mytaxi's parent company, Intelligent Apps, entering the ride hailing market.
In 2016, the German e-hailing app mytaxi merged with Hailo. Founded in London in 2011, Hailo was a British technology platform that matched taxi drivers and passengers through its mobile phone application. The merger between mytaxi and Hailo made mytaxi the largest licensed taxi e-hailing operator.
Following regulatory approval in February 2019, Daimler and BMW announced the €1bn mobility joint-venture; the parent company is known as Your Now which also operates Share Now, Reach Now, Park Now and Charge Now.
Mobile application and e-hailing
The Free Now app uses mobile and GPS technology to match taxi drivers with passengers based on availability and proximity, and requires a valid phone number and valid form of payment (debit or credit card, Apple Pay, Google Wallet or PayPal) to operate. The Free Now app is compatible with both iOS and Android mobile devices, and works with licensed taxis, including black cabs in the UK.
- "About the Joint Venture | Our Story". your-now.com. Retrieved July 4, 2019.
- "Daimler and BMW invest $1.1 billion in urban mobility services". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- Gorey, Colm (2019-02-22). "Mytaxi to change name to Free Now following €1bn BMW and Daimler deal". Silicon Republic. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "mytaxi rebrands as Free Now". rte.ie. Retrieved July 4, 2019.
- "mytaxi und der betrogene Taxipartner". www.taxi-times.com. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- "TaxiPoint Taxi News | Single Post". TaxiPoint Taxi News | UK | Black cabs. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Tuesday; July 02; Am, 2019-11:29 (2019-07-02). "Taxi app mytaxi rebrands to FREE NOW from today". www.irishexaminer.com. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Weis, Christian. "Bonner Investor lag mit myTaxi goldrichtig". www.business-on.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "Confirmed: Hailo sells 60% of company to Daimler as it merges with MyTaxi". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "BMW and Daimler to invest €1bn in mobility joint-venture". Financial Times. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- Duncan, Katherine (2013-05-22). "A Mobile App That Makes Hailing a Taxi Easier and More Efficient". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "Your friendly neighbourhood app". The Economist. 2012-10-27. ISSN 0013-0613. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- Rubinstein, Dana. "An entrepreneur pitches an app solution to New York's accessible-taxi problem". Politico PRO. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "What Technology Do You Need to Build a Taxi Booking App?". yalantis.com. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- Dec 2018, S. C. Stuart 11; P.m, 4:42 (2018-12-11). "How Mytaxi Is Helping London Cabbies Battle Uber, Lyft". PCMag UK. Retrieved 2019-07-05.