Free Running (video game)
|Developer(s)||Rebellion Developments (PS2, Wii)|
Core Design (PSP)
|Publisher(s)||Ubisoft, Reef Entertainment, Graffiti Entertainment|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Wii|
Free Running is a 2007 video game for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Wii and Microsoft Windows, developed by Rebellion Developments and Core Design and published by Ubisoft, Reef Entertainment, and Graffiti Entertainment.
Free Running is a freerunning sports game, with mechanics similar to those found in skateboarding titles such as the Tony Hawk's series. The objective of the game is a representation of freerunning, and players must demonstrate speed, rather than flamboyance. The player is required to navigate their character through an urban environment by climbing, leaping, wall-running and other acrobatic maneuvers. Points are earned by performing combinations of such moves, and completing mini-challenges such as checkpoint races.
The game received "mixed" reviews on all platforms according to the review aggregation website Metacritic. Eurogamer criticized the PlayStation 2 version's stiff controls and camera, leading to unease in performing tricks and combinations. It did not compare favourably to the fluid movement in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Crackdown – titles that were deemed to be better free running games than Free Running.
- Dan Whitehead (10 April 2007). "Free Running (PlayStation 2)". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
Free Running is a noble effort to apply the platform game template to a seemingly appropriate real world pastime, but it's hamstrung from the start by gameplay that is neither agile nor fluid enough to deliver an engaging experience, and by a concept that is considerably less unique on a joypad as it is in reality.
- "Free Running (psp: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on 13 September 2008. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Free Running (ps2: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on 13 September 2008. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Free Running for Wii Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Free Running (PS2)". Edge. No. 172. Future plc. February 2007. p. 82.
- "Free Running (PS2)". GamesMaster. Future plc. May 2007. p. 71.
- "Free Running (PS2)". PlayStation Official Magazine – UK. No. 5. Future plc. April 2007. p. 96.
- "Free Running (PS2)". Official UK PlayStation 2 Magazine. No. 82. Future plc. February 2007. p. 75.
- "Review: Free Running (PS2)". PSM3. Future plc. June 2007. p. 78.
- Will Freeman (22 April 2007). "Free Running Review (PS2)". VideoGamer.com. Resero Network. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- Eliot Fish (14 May 2007). "Free Running (PS2)". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 7 June 2018.