|Initial release||1 July 2008|
188.8.131.52 / 22 February 2018
|Written in||C++ with Qt, C#|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||23 languages|
|Private Limited Company|
|Products||Free Studio, Free YouTube to MP3 Converter, Free Audio Converter, Free Video Editor, Free Video Call Recorder for Skype, Free YouTube Download|
Free Studio is a freeware set of multimedia programs developed by DVDVideoSoft. The programs are available in one integrated package and also as separate downloads ("Free Studio Manager" is included in both).
The Free Studio software bundle consists of about 48 programs, grouped into several sections: YouTube, MP3 & Audio, CD-DVD-BD, DVD & Video, Photo & Images, Mobiles, Apple Devices, and 3D. The largest group is the DVD & Video section containing 14 different applications. Mobiles section is the second largest group with 13 programs. However, the YouTube section, particularly YouTube downloading programs, has gained more popularity among users. The programs have been tested and endorsed by a dozen of software portals and have won awards from these sites. As far as demographics is concerned, Free Studio has the highest popularity in Germany, Greece, Italy and the United States. It is also popular in Japan, France and the United Kingdom. Some of the programs in the package are open-source.
DVDVideoSoft project was launched in 2006 by company Digital Wave Ltd. for development to produce multimedia application. The founders distributed paid software as an affiliate at the beginning, later their own products appeared on the site. Free YouTube Download was the first successful program, then DVDVideoSoft created and launched several other 'Free YouTube' applications. Later on upon users' requests DVDVideoSoft started developing other kinds of applications including media converters etc. Today DVDVideoSoft offers up to 49 different programs for video, audio and image processing individually or integrated into the Free Studio package.
DVDVideoSoft YouTube programs can be used to download YouTube videos in their original format and convert them to AVI, DVD, MP4, WMV etc. or different audio formats. YouTube section contains Free Video Call Recorder for Skype button, but the program itself is not included into FS installation (it has to be downloaded and installed separately).
The 'MP3 & Audio' section consists of the programs which convert audio files between different formats, convert audio files to Flash for web, extract audio from video files, edit audio files (Free Audio Dub), rip and burn CDs.
Enclosed in the CD-DVD-BD section are the applications that enable users to burn files and folders to discs, to convert videos to a DVD format and vice versa, to burn CDs, and to copy CDs into digital music files.
The 'DVD and Video' section contains several desktop video and DVD converters. Some of the programs can flip, rotate and cut (Free Video Dub) videos. One of the most popular programs from the section is Free Video Dub. Converted videos are now, contrary to previous versions, watermarked if no paid membership is present.
The 'Mobiles' section contains a dozen video converters for various mobile devices such as cell phones, Tablets and Game consoles. They convert videos to play them on (BlackBerry, HTC, LG phones, Sony/Sony Ericsson, Nintendo, Xbox, Motorola phones, etc.)
The 'Photo & Images' section incorporates the programs for image conversion and resizing, extracting JPEG frames from videos (Free Video To JPEG Converter), recording screen activities, making screenshots (Free Screen Recorder).
Input: .avi; .ivf; .div; .divx; .mpg; .mpeg; .mpe; .mp4; .m4v; .wmv; .asf; .webm; .mkv; .mov; .qt; .ts; .mts; .m2t; .m2ts; .mod; .tod; .vro; .dat; .3gp2; .3gpp; .3gp; .3g2; .dvr-ms; .flv; .f4v; .amv; .rm; .rmm; .rv; .rmvb; .ogv; DVD video
Output: .jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .tga, .pdf
Operating system support
Free Studio runs under Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 (but not Windows RT). If the version of .NET Framework installed doesn't meet the minimal requirements, then the setup assistant offers to install it from the Microsoft website.
The programs have been tested and endorsed by Chip Online, Tucows, SnapFiles, Brothersoft and Softonic and have won awards from these sites. As far as demographics is concerned, Free Studio has the highest popularity in Germany, United States and Italy. It is also popular in Japan, France and the United Kingdom.
The most popular applications, according to CNET statistics, include Free YouTube to MP3 Converter, Free Video to MP3 Converter, Free MP4 Video Converter and Free YouTube Download. Other programs with high rank: Free AVI Video Converter, Free Video Editor, Free Audio Converter and Free Studio in a whole.
Free Studio (as can be common for freeware packages) is criticized for toolbar and Web search engine installation. Older versions have also included OpenCandy, which is loaded in automatically, without any request for user approval. There can be difficulties installing only the programs needed without installing bundled extra programs.
In March 2017 DVDVideoSoft announced that it had stopped showing other products' ads during the installation and all the toolbars, search engine installations and OpenCandy were removed.
- “All-terrain format converter”, by Niamh Lynch, December 18, 2009.
- DVDVideoSoft Free Studio, review.
- Free Studio Manager, January 6, 2011.
- Greher, Gena R.; Heines, Jesse M. (9 May 2014). Computational Thinking in Sound: Teaching The Art And Science Of Music And Technology. Oxford University Press. pp. 100–101. ISBN 978-0199826193.
- DVDVideoSoft Review, by Kumara Velu, August 19, 2010.
- "Dvdvideosoft.com Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". www.alexa.com.
- , Seattle Post, August 22, 2013.
- DVDVideoSoft (general information).
- Statistics for dvdvideosoft.com, Alexa Internet.
- Lynch, Niamh (18 December 2009). "All-terrain format converter". Softpedia. Archived from the original on 18 March 2011.
- How to Use DVD Video Soft to Put YouTube on Your iPod, last edited on May 2, 2011.
- Download & Convert YouTube Videos for iPod with DVDVideoSoft Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine, by Dean Sherwin, August 14, 2009.
- From YouTube to Your iPod, by Jan Ozer, May 2, 2007.
- DVDVideoSoft FreeStudio Is Complete All-In-One Multimedia Converter And Burner, by Usman, February 2, 2011.
- DVDVideoSoft Free Studio Review Archived 2011-06-25 at the Wayback Machine, by Pamela S Stevens.
- DVDVideoSoft Converters for iPod, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV Archived 2011-07-10 at the Wayback Machine, July 28, 2010.
- Free Studio 5.05 Archived 2012-05-18 at the Wayback Machine, review.
- Free 3D Photo Maker 2.0: DVDVideoSoft erzeugt kostenfrei 3D-Fotos, July 16, 2010.
- DVDVideoSoft 3D Photo Maker 2.0 – Freeware für 3D-Bilder, by Joachim Sauer, July 20, 2010.
- Lebendige Fotos und Videos: Tool verwandelt 2D in 3D, krone.at, March 14, 2011.
- "DVDVideoSoft - Download.com". Download.com.
- List of Software Installers That Bundle Unwanted Addon / Toolbars
- DVDVideoSoft Free Studio 5.0.13 Archived 2013-01-15 at the Wayback Machine, review.
- Free Studio, Der Multimedia-Profi Free Studio konvertiert Formate und ermöglicht das Bearbeiten von MP3 und Co., by Sandra Adlesgruber, July 15, 2010.
- "Free Studio 184.108.40.2065". CodecPack. Archived from the original on 13 August 2015.
- Format-Konverter für alle Anwendungen und Geräte, Free Studio, review.
- Ellis, Cat (27 July 2017). "DVDVideoSoft Free Audio Editor". Techradar. Archived from the original on 18 September 2018. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "No more ads in the apps! | DVDVideoSoft News". www.dvdvideosoft.com. Retrieved 2017-05-18.