From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Free city may refer to:
- Special economic zone, a zone located within the national borders of, and controlled by, a sovereign country, but where business and trade laws differ from the rest of that country (and are usually less regulated).
- City-state, region controlled exclusively by a sovereign city
- Free city (antiquity) a self-governed city during the Hellenistic and Roman Imperial eras
- Free City (album), album by the St. Lunatics
- Free City of Danzig and Free City of Danzig (Napoleonic), two historical city-states that existed in what is now Gdańsk, Poland
- Free Imperial City, self-governed city in the Holy Roman Empire subordinate only to the emperor
- Royal free city, or free royal city, a term for a self-governed city in the Kingdom of Hungary
- Free City of Bremen, from 1646 to 1871, with the name still officially surviving, in what is now Germany
- Free City of Lübeck, from 1226 to 1937 in what is now Germany
- Free City of Frankfurt, for almost five centuries until 1866, in what is now Germany
- Free City of Hamburg, until 1871, with the name still officially surviving, in what is now Germany
- Free City of Kraków, 1815-1846, in what is now Poland
- Free City of Augsburg, for over 500 years in what is now Germany
- Free City of Besançon, in what is now eastern France
- Free City of Greyhawk, a fictional city-state
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Free city.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.