Type of site
|Available in||English only|
|Created by||Patrick Lenz (scoop)|
|Current status||Unmaintained archive|
Freecode, formerly Freshmeat, is a website owned by BIZX, Inc. It is popular source of open source software for programmers and developers. Among other things, the site also hosted user reviews and discussions. A majority of the software covered is open source for Unix-like systems, although Freecode also covered releases of closed-source, commercial and cross-platform software on Mac OS X and handhelds. Freecode was notable for its age, having started in 1997 as the first web-based aggregator of software releases.
Purportedly as a result of low traffic levels, the site is no longer being updated as of June 18, 2014. Because many of the linked software projects are otherwise difficult to find, the site contents have been kept online. After Open Source Initiative co-founder Eric S. Raymond called for a replacement, freshcode.club was created and is accepting submissions.
- "About Freecode". 2011-10-31. Archived from the original on October 31, 2011. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "What's in a name?". 2011-10-29. Archived from the original on October 31, 2011. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "freshmeat.net, 1997-2014". 2014-06-19. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "Dice Holdings buys Geeknet websites for $20M". 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "Slashdot, SourceForge, FreeCode sold to jobs site company". 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "About Freecode". 2014-06-19. Archived from the original on June 19, 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "Replacing freecode: a proposal". 2014-06-21. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "Freshcode.club wants to replace Freecode". 2014-08-04. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "Slashdot Media Acquired by BIZX for Undisclosed Price | San Diego Business Journal". www.sdbj.com. Retrieved 2016-06-08.
- "The State of SourceForge Since Its Acquisition in January • /r/sysadmin". reddit. Retrieved 2016-06-08.