Freedom: First Resistance
|Freedom: First Resistance|
|Developer(s)||Red Storm Entertainment|
|Publisher(s)||Red Storm Entertainment|
Freedom: First Resistance is a third-person action-adventure video game for PC. The game was published by Red Storm Entertainment and released in the United States on 12 December 2000. The game is based on Anne McCaffrey's trilogy of novels titled the Catteni Series (also known as Freedom Series). In December 2000, prior to the game's release, GameSpot reported that the game had gone "gold" and would be released later that month.
Freedom: First Resistance is set on Earth in an alternative future where the Catteni alien race has invaded and occupied the planet, forcing most of humanity into labor camps. During gameplay, the player takes on the role of a female human named Angel Sanchez, voiced by Yeni Álvarez. Sanchez is the leader of a resistance party who attempts to end the alien's oppression.
Freedom: First Resistance received generally poor reviews. IGN rated the game at 4.9 out of 10 (bad). GameSpot rated it at 3.9 out of 10 and wrote in their summary of the game that "If the disappointing gameplay and the graphics and sound somehow aren't enough to turn you off to the game, Freedom has lots of smaller problems as well." In an article titled Freedom: First Resistance – Let's hope that it's also the last, IGN commented that the game had shortcomings, including glitches in stealth mode such as enemies detecting the character through walls, or conversely, not detecting the character at all. Further criticism in the IGN article claimed that the combat engine functioned poorly and lacked player involvement. IGN went on to point out minor issues such as a "choppy frame rate," and incompatibility with various video and sound cards.
Some of IGN's positive criticism noted the game's well-developed textures that lead to convincing outdoor environments as well as the game's tight animation sequences that were the result of nearly 700 motion captured animations.
- IGN Staff (4 January 2001). "Freedom: First Resistance". IGN. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Giancarlo Varanini (13 July 2000). "Freedom: First Resistance". GameSpot. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Trey Walker (7 December 2000). "Freedom: First Resistance Gold". GameSpot. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "About This Game – IGN". IGN. 2001. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Freedom: First Resistance metacritic review". metacritic. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- Erik Wolpaw (21 December 2000). "Freedom: First Resistance Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 31 January 2014.