Freedom Riders (film)
|Directed by||Stanley Nelson|
Freedom Riders is a 2010 American historical documentary film, produced by Firelight Media for PBS American Experience based in part on the book Freedom Riders: 1961 and the Struggle for Racial Justice by historian Raymond Arsenault. Directed by Stanley Nelson, it marked the 50th anniversary of the first Freedom Ride in May 1961 and was first aired on May 16, 2011.
The film chronicles the story behind hundreds of civil rights activists called the Freedom Riders who challenged the racial segregation of the American interstate transport and by traveling together in small interracial groups and sitting where they chose on the buses and trains to demand equal access to terminal restaurants and waiting rooms, and to bring racial segregation national attention.
The film is currently used within Firelight Media’s national outreach campaign, to serve as an educational and advocacy tool by NGOs and non-profit partners in order to support young people who are mobilizing around contemporary social issues such as, immigrant rights, youth violence, and environmental issues.
Nelson was helped in the making of the documentary by Arsenault and Derek Catsam, an associate professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin.
- 2010: Official Selection, Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
- 2010: Official Selection, Maryland Film Festival
- 2010: Official Selection, Silverdocs Documentary Film Festival
- 2010: Official Selection, Sundance Film Festival
- 2011: Heartland Film Festival: Best Documentary Feature 
- 2011: Japan Prize: Welfare Category
- 2012: Primetime Emmy Award: Exceptional Merit in Nonfiction Filmmaking
- 2012: Primetime Emmy Award: Outstanding Picture Editing for Nonfiction Programming
- 2012: Primetime Emmy Award: Outstanding Writing for Nonfiction Programming
- 2012: Eddie Award: Best Edited Documentary
- 2012: Writers Guild of America Award: Best Documentary Screenplay: Nominated
- African-American Civil Rights Movement (1955–1968)
- African-American Civil Rights Movement in popular culture
- Arsenault, Raymond (2006). Freedom Riders: 1961 and the Struggle for Racial Justice. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199755813.
- Etheridge, Eric; McWhorter, Diane; Wilkins, Roger (2008). Breach of Peace: Portraits of the 1961 Mississippi Freedom Riders. New York: Atlas & Company. ISBN 9780977743391.
- About the Film PBS.
- 50th Anniversary of the First Freedom Ride: New Documentary Recounts Historic 1961 Effort to Challenge Segregated Bus System in the Deep South Democracy Now!, May 04, 2011.
- "Freedom Riders mark 50 years". USA Today. 5/6/2011. Check date values in:
- Freedom Rider The Oprah Winfrey Show.
- Freedom Riders Truly moving pictures, Heartland Film Festival
- Library List Retrieved 2013-01-12
- IMDb: Emmy Awards for 2011 Retrieved 2012-11-04
- IMDb: Eddie Awards for 2011 Retrieved 2012-11-04
- IMDb: WGA Awards for 2011 Retrieved 2012-11-04