Freehold Township High School
|Freehold Township High School|
Front of the school
|281 Elton-Adelphia Road (CR 524)
Freehold Township, NJ 07728
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Freehold Regional High School District|
|Asst. principals||Dr. David Bleakley
|Enrollment||2,036 (as of 2016-17)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.2:1|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Freehold Township High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school located within Freehold Township, New Jersey, and is part of the Freehold Regional High School District. The school serves students from portions of Freehold Township, and from parts of both Howell Township and Manalapan Township. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1976.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 2,036 students and 138.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 15.2:1. There were 167 students (7.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 39 (1.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 66th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 199th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 212th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 122nd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 144th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 115th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 32 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (85.9%) and language arts literacy (95.7%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Freehold Township High School Patriots compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County. The league operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 1,573 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group IV for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 1,082 to 2,349 students in that grade range.
The girls' field hockey team won the Central Jersey Group IV state sectional championships in 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2014.
FTHS consists of two magnet programs, the Animal Botanical Science Academy and the 'Global Studies Learning Center' formerly known as the International Studies (IS) and Contemporary Global Issues (CGI) program: To be eligible for these classes, students must enter a rigorous district wide examination where top candidates are allowed into the program. The examination includes an application, essays, and a standardized test. Students who have high grades and test scores are admitted.
Animal Botanical Science and FFA
- Students who enroll in the program are automatically members of the National FFA Organization (FFA)
- Freshman year: Agribiology
- Sophomore year: Floral and Landscape Design
- Junior year: Honors Agricultural Leadership I
- Senior year: Honors Agricultural Leadership II and Animal Science
- Classes incorporate FFA activities such as planning events or studying for competitions also known as Career Development Events. FFA focuses on agricultural education as well as positive personal development and career success.
Global Studies (GS)
- Freshman year: Honors Modern Global Analysis, Honors World Art Studio, and Honors World Literature and the Writers Workshop
- Sophomore year: Honors United States in the World, AP Comparative Government and Politics, and Honors American Literature and the Research Workshop
- Junior year: Honors Philosophy (1/2 year course), Honors Political Science (1/2 year), and AP US History
- Senior year: Honors Senior Seminar, AP Human Geography (1/2 year), and Honors Global Commerce (1/2 year)
Current student body
Statistics are as of the 2014-2015 School Year
|Subset||Number of students||Percent|
|Two or More Races||9||0.4%|
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Elizabeth Higley - Principal
- Dr. David Bleakley - Assistant Principal
- Shawn Currie - Assistant Principal
- Susan Field - Assistant Principal
- Brad Brach (born 1986), relief pitcher with the Baltimore Orioles.
- Alyssa Campanella (born 1990), Miss New Jersey Teen USA 2007, 1st runner up at Miss Teen USA 2007 and Miss USA 2011.
- Robert Griswold (born 1996, class of 2015), bronze medalist in swimming for the United States team at the 2016 Paralympic Games.
- Val Majewski (born 1981), center fielder with the Houston Astros.
- Kal Penn (born 1977), actor.
- Ryan Spadola (born 1991), wide receiver who has played in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets.
Other high schools in the district
Attendance at each of the district's high schools is based on where the student lives in relation to the district's high schools. In order to balance enrollment, district lines are redrawn for all six schools to address issues with overcrowding and spending in regards to transportation. The other five schools in the district (with 2014-15 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics) with their attendance zones for incoming students are:
- Colts Neck High School - 1,468 students from Colts Neck Township (all), Howell (part), Marlboro (part).
- Freehold High School - 1,505 students from Freehold (all) and Freehold Township (part).
- Howell High School - 2,290 students from Farmingdale (all) and Howell (part).
- Manalapan High School - 1,950 students from Englishtown (all) and Manalapan (part).
- Marlboro High School - 1,986 students from Marlboro (part).
- School data for Freehold Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Freehold Township High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- FRHSD Attendance Boundaries; Which High School Will My Child Attend?, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- Freehold Township High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed June 22, 2011.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 12, 2011.
- Staff. "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 4, 2012.
- Member Schools, Shore Conference. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- http://www.njsiaa.org/sites/default/files/document/Boys-Girls%20Soccer%20Program.pdf 2015 Soccer Championships Program], New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2015 Field Hockey Tournament of Champions Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- About Us, Freehold Township High School. Accessed November 22, 2011.
- 2015 yearbook
- Administration, Freehold Township High School. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Principal, Freehold Township High School. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Staff. "Brach's no-hitter paces Hawks' win"Atlanticville, April 19, 2007. Accessed February 2, 2017. "Brad Brach did something no Monmouth University pitcher has done in 17 years, pitch a no-hitter.... At Freehold Township, Brach was the ace on the Patriot team that won the A North Division title and advanced to the Central Jersey Group IV final."
- Boyd, Alesha Williams; and Gladden, Michelle. "Crown helps advance causes", Asbury Park Press, August 11, 2007. Accessed June 22, 2011. "'I think some people believe you have to be the most stunning girl to win a pageant title' said Campanella a drama club member at Freehold Township High School who holds a 4.0-plus grade point average and hopes to become an actress."
- Deakyne, Brian. "Robert Griswold, former Freehold Township swimmer, headed to the Olympics", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, July 3, 2016. Accessed September 27, 2016. "Robert Griswold, who swam at Freehold Township and graduated in 2015, was selected to the United States' Paralympic team and will compete in the Olympic Games this summer, the organization announced on Sunday."
- "Sports Shorts", Farmingdale News Transcript, July 11, 2007. Accessed July 27, 2007. "Majewski, who starred at Freehold Township High School, is leading the Baysox in batting (.285), hits (80) and runs scored (40), and is second in doubles (19) and RBI (38)."
- O'Sullivan, Eleanor. "A different identity", Home News Tribune, March 9, 2007. Accessed June 22, 2011. "Kal Penn, 29, a former Freehold Township High School drama student, stars as Gogol."
- O'Sullivan, Eleanor. "Making a name for himself", Home News Tribune, March 18, 2007. Accessed November 24, 2011. "He is a 1995 graduate of Freehold Township High School."
- Slater, Darryl. "Freehold Township's Ryan Spadola is trying to catch on with the Jets", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, August 17, 2013. Accessed May 26, 2016. "Spadola always wanted to play in the NFL, but when he graduated from Freehold Township High School in 2009, he picked Lehigh over other Football Championship Subdivision schools because of its lofty academic reputation."
- School Data for the Freehold Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- Our Schools, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Freehold Regional High School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- Colts Neck High School, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- Freehold High School, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- Howell High School, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- Manalapan High School, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- Manalapan High School 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 30, 2016. "Manalapan High School is a fully accredited comprehensive high school serving a community of nearly 39,000 residents living primarily in the Township of Manalapan and the Borough of Englishtown."
- Marlboro High School, Freehold Regional High School District. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- Freehold Township High School website
- Freehold Regional High School District website
- Freehold Township High School's 2015–16 School Performance Report from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Freehold Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- DigitalSports Freehold Township Homepage