Freeman High School (Washington)
|Freeman High School|
14626 South Jackson Rd
|School district||Freeman School District|
|Teaching staff||16.41 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.93|
|Color(s)||Columbia blue, red, white|
|Athletics conference||Northeast 1A, Northeast District 7, Washington Interscholastic Activities Association|
|Rival||Lakeside High School|
Freeman High School is a public high school north of Rockford, Washington and 19 mi (31 km) southwest of Spokane, Washington. It is a part of the adjacent three school Freeman School District facility that contains Freeman Elementary School, Freeman Middle School and Freeman High School.
Freeman high school competes in Washington's Northeast A League. The school fields teams in the following sports:
- Fall: Cross Country, Football, Soccer, Volleyball
- Winter: Wrestling, Basketball
- Spring: Baseball, Golf, Softball, Tennis and Track & Field
Freeman's athletic teams are known as the Scotties. The school's previous mascot was the Freeman Raiders from 1955 to 2014. The original old Scottie dog logo was created by Freeman student Margee Noble.
The Freeman school district was formed in 1955 as a consolidation of the Rockford, Lindbergh, and Sunnyside school districts; there had been another Freeman school district prior to 1940, when it was annexed by Lindbergh.
On September 13, 2017, a gunman opened fire at Freeman. The alleged suspect, 15-year-old sophomore Caleb Sharpe, brought two guns, an AR-15 rifle and a pistol then killed one student, who was attempting to prevent the shooting from taking place. Three other students were injured and taken to the hospital. Sharpe is being tried as an adult, and his trial date was set for October 5, 2020, but has been pushed back to June 2021, due to COVID-19.
The demographic breakdown of the 327 students enrolled in 2014–15 was:
- Male – 53.8%
- Female – 46.2%
- Native American/Alaskan – 3.1%
- Asian/Pacific islanders – 2.4%
- Black – 1.2%
- Hispanic – 5.8%
- White – 85.6%
- Multiracial – 1.9%
22.3 percent of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
- "Freeman High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- "Search for Public Schools – School Detail for Freeman High School". nces.ed.gov. Archived from the original on September 29, 2017. Retrieved September 29, 2017.
- "Freeman Sports Teams". MaxPreps. Archived from the original on September 15, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2017.
- "Freeman HS". Washington Interscholastic Activities Association. Archived from the original on September 15, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2017.
- "All Freeman schools to unite under Scottie mascot". The Spokesman-Review. September 6, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Our History". Freeman School District. Archived from the original on September 14, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2017.
- "One student dead, three in hospital after classmate opens fire at Freeman High School". The Spokesman-Review. September 13, 2017. Archived from the original on September 14, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2017.
- Narayan, Chandrika (September 14, 2017). "Student died after confronting shooter at Spokane school". CNN. Archived from the original on September 14, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2017.
- https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jul/23/judge-orders-caleb-sharpe-to-be-tried-as-adult-for/%3. Retrieved July 25, 2019. Missing or empty
- https://www.khq.com/top_story/judge-determines-admitted-freeman-high-school-shooter-will-be-triwebed/article_e40dc2fc-acd4-11e9-93cc-7f51f87022e4. Retrieved July 25, 2019. Missing or empty
|This Washington (state) school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|