Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Elevation||810 ft (247 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||434821|
Freeport was platted in 1836. The community was so named for its status as a shipping point. A post office was established at Freeport in 1837, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1902.
Freeport is located at.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Freeport, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- Chadwick, Edward H. (1909). Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana. B.F. Bowen. p. 86.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
a free place to load cargo.
- "Shelby County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved January 5, 2017.
|This Shelby County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|