Freeport High School (Illinois)
|Freeport High School|
|701 West Moseley Street
Freeport, Illinois, 61032
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Freeport District 145 Schools|
|Average class size||15.7|
|Slogan||You Can Eat Us, But You Can't Beat Us!|
|Athletics conference||Northern Illinois Conference (NIC-10)|
|Average ACT scores||19.3|
|Website||Official School Website|
Freeport High School is a public secondary school located in Freeport, Illinois.
In the 2014-2015 school year, Freeport High School had a population of 55.2% white students, followed by 23.7% black students, 10.7% students at two or more races, 8.7% Hispanic students, and 1.6% of students grouped as 'other' (Asian, American Indian, ect.). In the same year, 63.7% of the student body was classified as 'low percent income'.
In 2015, Freeport had an average composite ACT score of 19.3, just below the state average at 20.5. Freeport graduated 82.5% of its senior class. Freeport has not made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) in recent years, and, as of the 2013-14 school year, has been on the state academic watch list for 8 consecutive school years. Freeport High School has been well below the state minimum AYP target in math, reading, and graduation rate.
The following teams won their respective IHSA sponsored state championship tournaments:
- Basketball (boys): State Champions (1914–15, 25–26, 50–51)
- Bowling (boys): State Champions (2007–08)
- Speech: State Champions (1940-41, 41-42, 48-49, 49-50, 50-51, 55-56)
- Drama: State Champions (1940-41, 42-43, 48-49, 50-51, 55-56)
- Debate: State Champions (1949-50, 55-56)
- Robert L. Johnson, Former CEO, Chairman, founder of Black Entertainment Television (BET)
- Jason Pearson, MLB baseball player
- Preston Pearson, Played 14 years in the National Football League
- Adolph Rupp was the boys basketball coach (1926–30). He left to coach at the University of Kentucky (1930–72), leading the Wildcats to four NCAA Men's National Championships.
- "IHSA School Directory". Illinois High School Association. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Freeport (H.S.)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 16 December 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- Illinois Interactive Report Card. "FREEPORT HIGH SCHOOL: AYP Report". niu.edu. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "IHSA Season Summaries". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 20 November 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Records & History". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Prell, Edward (7 February 1947). "Kentucky Five Proves Rupp's a Good Coach". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 25. Retrieved 13 August 2009.
Adolph Rupp is the kind of basketball coach who never forgets a defeat. In 1928, he took his Freeport [Ill.] High school kids to the state tournament ...
- Official Website
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|