Freeport Township, Harrison County, Ohio
|Freeport Township, Harrison County, Ohio|
Skull Fork Covered Bridge
Location of Freeport Township in Harrison County
|• Total||24.1 sq mi (62.4 km2)|
|• Land||24.1 sq mi (62.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||876 ft (267 m)|
|• Density||31.7/sq mi (12.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086275|
Freeport Township is one of the fifteen townships of Harrison County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 763 people in the township, 365 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Moorefield Township - east
- Flushing Township, Belmont County - southeast
- Londonderry Township, Guernsey County - south
- Washington Township, Guernsey County - southwest
- Perry Township, Tuscarawas County - northwest
It is the only township in the county to border Guernsey County.
The village of Freeport is located in central Freeport Township.
Name and history
It is the only Freeport Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Harrison County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.