Freestone, circa 1910
|Area||64.1 km2 (24.7 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||Southern Downs Region|
|State electorate(s)||Southern Downs|
Freestone is predominantly flat farming land (500-600 metres above sea level) with the northernmost part of the locality being the Mount Dumaresq Conservation Park containing Mount Dumaresq at 820 metres.
In about 1864 Rev. J.B. Watkin, a Wesleyan, commenced services in private homes in the area. On 2 January 1865, a public meeting was held to erect a chapel for regular services. J and C Wilson donated the land. On Sunday 4 February 1866, the first service was held in the new chapel, a wooden building 24 by 15 feet (7.3 by 4.6 m) at a cost of £64 4s 1d of which £50 was already promised. Much of the labour for the building was donated.
Freestone Creek State School opened on 1 August 1870. In 1876 it renamed Freestone Creek Lower State School. In 1940, it was renamed Freestone State School.
Freestone State School is a government co-educational primary school (P-6) at 82 School Road. In 2016, the school had enrolment of 29 students with 3 teachers and 7 non-teaching staff (3 full-time equivalent).
- "Freestone - locality in Southern Downs Region (entry 49507)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "Local Intelligence,". Warwick Argus And Tenterfield Chronicle. II, (35). Queensland, Australia. 3 March 1866. p. 2. Retrieved 13 September 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0
- "Annual Report 2016" (PDF). Freestone State School. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 September 2017. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- Bramley, Ellis (1965), Landmarks of a hundred years: 1865-1965 : souvenir brochure of Freestone Methodist Church, Warwick Circuit, Queensland, Warwick, retrieved 13 September 2017
Media related to Freestone, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|