|Studio album by Bachman–Turner Overdrive|
|Bachman–Turner Overdrive chronology|
Freeways is the sixth studio album by Canadian rock band Bachman–Turner Overdrive, released in 1977. It was the last album that Randy Bachman would be a part of with BTO until seven years later when a "reunion" Bachman-Turner Overdrive studio album was made and released in 1984. This is also the last studio album to be made with the band's classic and most successful Not Fragile line up. It was the first BTO studio album to become a commercial failure, featuring the first BTO single that did not chart ("My Wheels Won't Turn"). Randy Bachman wrote every song besides "Life Still Goes On."
Many of BTO's core fans did not like the album, as it was not the heavy, guitar driven rock n' roll that BTO was known for. Fred Turner was reportedly so unhappy with this album that he wouldn't allow a straight-on picture of himself to be used on the cover, saying he felt like a "side man." Years later, Randy would agree that the Freeways album was rushed to the studio, and that the band should have taken some down time, allowing them to develop more song ideas. He did however, mention "Down Down", "Shotgun Rider", and "My Wheels Won't Turn" as songs that were worthy of inclusion on any BTO album, singling out the Duane Allman-esque guitar solo on "My Wheels Won't Turn" as one of Blair Thornton's finest moments on record.
This album was one of the last albums to reach the charts by any formation of BTO. The 8-track tape version of this album has the distinction of being one of the few 8-tracks that is arranged exactly like the album, with no song breaks.
All songs written by Randy Bachman, with vocals by Randy Bachman, except where noted
- "Can We All Come Together" – 5:54
- "Life Still Goes On (I'm Lonely)" (C.F. Turner) – 3:55 (Vocal C.F. Turner)
- "Shotgun Rider" – 5:17
- "Just for You" – 4:43
- "My Wheels Won't Turn" – 5:20
- "Down, Down" – 4:18
- "Easy Groove" – 5:00
- "Freeways" – 4:53 (Vocal C.F. Turner)
- Randy Bachman - acoustic guitar, guitar, bass, vocals, lap steel guitar
- Robbie Bachman - drums
- Blair Thornton - guitar, background vocals
- C.F. Turner - bass, vocals
- Producer: Randy Bachman
- Engineer: George Semkiw
- Assistant engineer: Mick Walsh, Mark Wright
- Art direction: Jim Ladwig
- Design: Joe Kotleba
- Photography: Bruce Cole
- Cover photo: Kenneth McGowan
- Allmusic review
- BTO article at www.allpar.com
- Heatley, Michael (May 2, 2014). "The Turbulent History of Bachman-Turner Overdrive". teamrock.com. Retrieved March 9, 2016.