Freight Train (book)
Freight Train is a 24-page children's picture book written and illustrated by Donald Crews. It lacks any story, but rather describes the inner workings of a large cargo train. It was named one of 1979's Caldecott Honor books. It has been included in such lists of top children's books as Anita Silvey's 100 Best Books for Children and a 2012 "Top Children's Picture Books" list by School Library Journal.
The popularity of this book led it to be completely remade in 2001 by Crews. The new edition, titled Inside Freight Train, features fold-out panels, revealing the insides of the various train carriages. The book has also been developed into a 2011 mobile app. 
- "Caldecott Medal & Honor Books, 1938-Present", Association for Library Service to Children (accessed 2014-08-10).
- Anita Silvey, 100 Best Books for Children (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2004), ISBN 978-0618618774, pp. 8-9. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Elizabeth Bird, "Top 100 Picture Books #42: Freight Train by Donald Crews", School Library Journal, May 29, 2012.
- " Inside Freight Train", Publishers Weekly, February 1, 2001.
- Katie Bircher, "Bells and whistles and steam, oh my!", The Horn Book, January 3, 2011. ("The simple, logical presentation of concepts that makes Freight Train so enduring works just as brilliantly here — with the added bonus of ringing bells and blowing whistles.")
|This article about a children's picture book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|