Fremont, North Carolina
|Fremont, North Carolina|
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||148 ft (45 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||1,276|
|• Density||900/sq mi (360/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0985403|
|Website||Town of Fremont|
Fremont is located at (35.543071, -77.974792).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,463 people, 591 households, and 369 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,074.6 people per square mile (415.3/km²). There were 671 housing units at an average density of 492.9 per square mile (190.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 45.86% White, 50.72% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 2.32% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.67% of the population.
There were 591 households out of which 27.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.1% were married couples living together, 19.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.4% were non-families. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the town, the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 20.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 81.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,167, and the median income for a family was $34,375. Males had a median income of $31,250 versus $18,869 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,892. About 15.6% of families and 21.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.6% of those under age 18 and 17.7% of those age 65 or over.
Education in Fremont is administered by the Wayne County Public School system. Schools located in Fremont include Fremont STARS, Norwayne Middle School and Charles B. Aycock High School. Higher education is offered through Wayne Community College in Goldsboro.
- Air: Fremont is served through nearby Kinston Regional Jetport (IATA: ISO, ICAO: KISO) with service to Orlando, Florida. Raleigh-Durham International Airport is the closest major airport with service to more than 45 domestic and international destinations. Goldsboro-Wayne Municipal Airport is an airport located nearby, but is only used for general aviation.
- I-795 is the closest Interstate Highway on the outskirts of Fremont intersecting with NC 222, while Interstate 95 is located 15 miles west in Kenly.
- Fremont is not served directly by passenger trains. The closest Amtrak station is located in Wilson.
- Bus: The area is served by Greyhound with a location in nearby Goldsboro.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.