Fremont High School (Oakland, California)
|Fremont High School|
Fremont High School Library
|4610 Foothill Blvd.
|School district||Oakland Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Green and gold|
Fremont High School is an urban public high school located in the Fruitvale District of East Oakland, California, United States. It was formerly a group of smaller high schools located on the same campus and known as Fremont Federation of High Schools. The school's present configuration is that of the "wall to wall" career academies model, consisting of a 9th Grade House which feeds into one of three California Partnership Academies (CPA), specifically the Architecture Academy, Mandela Law & Public Service Academy, and Media Academy.
Part of the Oakland Unified School District, and located at 4610 Foothill Boulevard since 1905, the school was split into four smaller autonomous schools in 2003:
- College Preparatory and Architecture Academy
- Mandela High School
- Media College Preparatory High School
- Paul Robeson School, Visual and Performing Arts (closed after the 2009-2010 school year)
The three high schools remained and had their own administration until the spring of 2011. They functioned separately, though located on the same campus, and used the same library. They also had common sports teams under the Fremont High School banner.
After the spring of 2011, as part of an Oakland Unified School District decision to slowly reverse the small school system, the three remaining schools became less autonomous. The 2011-2012 school year reintroduced a central administration with three separate entities and budgets on campus: Mandela High, Media High, and CPAA. In 2012, the Fremont Federation of High Schools again became Fremont High School, with one single administration.
2011-2012 student profile
- 795 students:
|White, non-Hispanic||Hispanic||Asian||African American||Pacific Islander||Multiracial||American Indian|
Fremont High School offers several advanced placement (AP) courses, including:
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Biology
- AP World History
- AP United States History
- AP United States Government
- AP English/Lit
- AP Language
- AP Spanish
Fremont High also offers academy-based courses, including:
- Woodworking A/B
- Architecture Design/Drafting
- Video Production
- Media Studies
- Graphic Design
- Model UN classes
California's API scores are on a scale of 200-1000, with a statewide median around 750. In 2009, Fremont Federation's schools received the following scores:
- Mandela High School: 528
- Media College Prep. High School: 519
- Robeson Visual and Performing Arts High School: 483
In 2010, Fremont Federation of High Schools received the following scores:
- Mandela High School: 538
- Media College Prep. High School: 619
- College Preparatory and Architecture Academy: 604
CAHSEE test scores:
- Passing ELA (English Language Arts):51%
- Passing Math: 46%
- DarrylR.Adams- Educator and First African American elected to the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School Board 1993-present.
- Florence Wysinger Allen, artist's model
- Bill Brenzel, former professional baseball player (Pittsburgh Pirates, Cleveland Indians)
- Lester Conner, professional basketball player and coach
- Darrell J. Doughty, biblical scholar
- Ken Hofmann, real estate developer and former co-owner of the Oakland Athletics and Seattle Seahawks
- Steve Hosey, major league baseball player
- Garry Jestadt, former professional baseball player (Montreal Expos, Chicago Cubs, San Diego Padres)
- Sten Odenwald, astronomer
- Donald G. Reed, actor and comedian
- Big Reid, radio personality and current video producer for CBS Radio
- Ade Schwammel, professional football player
- Bob Smith, former professional baseball player (Tampa Bay Rays)
- Too Short, Oakland rapper
- Henry Turner, professional basketball player
- Ken Walters, former professional baseball player (Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds)
- "Brief History of Fremont" at Fremont High School official website (accessed 2012-01-17).
- Source: California Department of Education
- Oakland Unified School District SARC site
- California Department of Education Average Performance Index
- J.L. Pimsleur, "Flo Allen -- Legendary Artist's Model", San Francisco Chronicle, June 18, 1997.
- Bill Brenzel at Thebaseballcube.com
- Lester Conner bio at Atlanta Hawks official website.
- "Darrell J. Doughty", Portland Press Herald, May 31, 2009.
- Kenneth H. Hofmann: 1986 Honoree, California Homebuilding Foundation Hall of Fame (accessed 2013-01-16).
- Sean Waters, "They Are Struggling to Make It to the Top", Los Angeles Times, July 5, 1992.
- Gary Jestadt at Thebaseballcube.com
- Don Reed Tells Life Tale In 'East 14th', NPR, August 12, 2008
- Ade Schwammel at DatabaseFootball.com
- http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Bobby-Smith Bobby Smith at Thebaseballcube.com
- Chip Johnson, "Too $hort singing a new tune", San Francisco Chronicle, December 26, 2006.
- Henry Turner at basketball-reference. com
- http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Ken-Walters Ken Walters at Thebaseballcube.com