French American International School (Portland, Oregon)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
French American International School
French American International School - Portland, Oregon.JPG
8500 NW Johnson Street
Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon 97229
 United States
Coordinates 45°31′43″N 122°45′54″W / 45.528661°N 122.765058°W / 45.528661; -122.765058Coordinates: 45°31′43″N 122°45′54″W / 45.528661°N 122.765058°W / 45.528661; -122.765058
Type Private
Opened 1979[citation needed]
Principal Catherine Cohen
Head teacher Pam Dreisin
Grades Preschool-8[1]
Number of students 550 [2]
Mascot Eagle
Team name Eagles
Accreditation French Ministry of National Education, Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS)
Newspaper La Gazette

The French American International School (École Internationale Franco-Américaine) is a French and English language private school in Portland, Oregon, United States.

The school has an annual operating budget of over $7 million. Approximately 92 percent of operating revenue is generated by tuition, with other operations and fundraising activities accounting for the remaining 8 percent.[citation needed]

A partner school, the German American School, is located in Portland and serves grades K-5. Its graduates may elect to attend middle school at FAIS, in order to receive German-language instruction in language arts and social studies.[3]

Community participation is emphasized at the French American International School. In 2012, three high school women who learned French at FAIS assisted with a World War II translation project about "a B-17 crash in the Alps near the French-Italian border."[4] A cookbook by the Families and Friends of The French American International School, Livre de Cuisine : A Compendium of World Recipes, has been favorably reviewed for its use of local food and focus on bringing young people into the kitchen to cook.[5] The school has received Audubon Society certification for "removal of invasive weeds and practicing wildlife stewardship,"[6] and a City Commissioner complimented its students for providing "sophisticated ideas and articulate comments" on the 2010 Portland Plan.[7]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2009-05-28. 
  2. ^ [1], French American International School website
  3. ^ "French American International School - Portland: Academics » Gilkey International Middle School (Grades 6 - 8) » Our Partner School". Archived from the original on 2012-04-30. Retrieved 2012-09-12. 
  4. ^ Tammy Ellingson. "Translating History". Portland Family Magazine. Retrieved 2012-09-12. 
  5. ^ "French American School Cookbook review". Retrieved 2012-09-12. 
  6. ^ Mollie Hottle (2012-04-30). "French American International School receives Audubon certification". Retrieved 2012-09-12. 
  7. ^ "French American International School visits Council". Retrieved 2012-09-12.