Type of site
|Launched||23 March 2001|
The French Wikipedia (French: Wikipédia en français) is the French-language edition of the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia. This edition was started on 23 March 2001, and has 2,288,764 articles as of 15 January, 2021, making it the fifth-largest Wikipedia overall, after the English-, Cebuano-, Swedish- and German-language editions, the largest Wikipedia edition in a Romance language. It has the third-largest number of edits, and ranks 6th in terms of depth among Wikipedias. It was also the third edition, after the English Wikipedia and German Wikipedia, to exceed 1 million encyclopedia articles: this occurred on 23 September 2010. In April 2016, the project had 4657 active editors who made at least five edits in that month.
As of January 2021, there are 3,984,000 users, 159 admins and 63,357 files on the French Wikipedia.
On 2 December 2014, the French-language Wikipedia encyclopedia became the 3rd linguistic edition by number of registered users since its creation, overtaking for the first time the German edition, with 2,022,504 registered users, behind the English (23,300,456) and Spanish (3,401,493) language editions.
According to a 2010 study by thb Oxford Internet Institute, Ségolène Royal (FR) and unidentified flying object (objet volant non identifié) were the most controversial articles on the French Wikipedia.
The audience measurement company Médiamétrie questioned a sample of 8,500 users residing in France with access to Internet at home or at their place of work. Médiamétrie found that in June 2007, French Wikipedia had: 7,910,000 unique visitors that visited the site at least once during the month of June 2007 (compared to 4,355,000 unique visitors in June 2006); 2.7 visits per visitor during the period (2.0 visits in June 2006); had held the 12th position (21st in 2006) in "the Top 30 most visited sites in France, excluding Internet applications," according to the criterion of the number of unique visitors and 12th position in "the Top 30 most visited sites in France, including Internet applications," like eMule or Real Networks (22nd position in June 2006).
By August 2011, French Wikipedia was the 7th most visited site in France, with nearly 16 million unique visitors a month (according to Médiamétrie). In April 2012, it had 20 million unique visitors per month, or 2.4 million per day with over 700 million page views.
For the majority of the external links referenced in the articles, a program running on French Wikipedia automatically generates a link titled [archive], which is the union of two parts: the first one starts with http://archive.kiwix.com/cache/?url=, and the second is derived from the referenced URL. This feature has been created for the long-term digital preservation of the external references (so that the archive stay accessible even if the original reference is deleted).
- "Wikipédia en français dépasse le million d'articles". ZDNet France.
- Litchfield, John. "France's favourite encyclopaedia falls victim to Wikipedia." The Independent. Wednesday 20 February 2008. Retrieved on 26 June 2013.
- "Wikipedia Statistics - Tables - French". wikimedia.org.
- "List of Wikipedias by edits per article". wikimedia.org.
- "Estadísticas". es.wikipedia.org.
- Taha Yasseri; Anselm Spoerri; Mark Graham; János Kertész (8 July 2013). "The most controversial topics in Wikipedia: A multiingual and geographical analysis". arXiv:1305.5566v2 [physics.soc-ph].
- Erik Zachte (14 November 2011). "Wikimedia Traffic Analysis Report – Wikipedia Page Views Per Country – Trends". Wikimedia Statistics. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- "Wikipédia dépasse 20 millions de visiteurs/mois en France (Médiamétrie)". ZDNet. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "French Wikipedia at a glance". stats.wikimedia.org. Archived from the original on 30 May 2012.
- a fixed string that links to the of wikiwi.com
- e.g. in the article of the President François Mitterrand, reference n. 1 contains the link http://www.mitterrand.org/Lieux-de-recueillement-et-de.html, for which the French Wikipedia has generated the link http://archive.wikiwix.com/cache/20200814221716/http://www.mitterrand.org/Lieux-de-recueillement-et-de.html.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to French Wikipedia.|