|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
French maid is a strongly modified style of servant's dress that evolved from typical housemaid's black and white afternoon uniforms of 19th century France (and their later use by stereotypical soubrette characters in burlesque dramas and bedroom farces). The designs of the French maid dress can range widely from a conservative look to revealing. It is often used in cosplay, sexual roleplaying, and fetishism. Depending on design details, some forms can be classified as lingerie.
Though not strict to historically accurate uniforms, the French maid outfit has an easily recognizable pattern and black-and white theme that remains the template for other forms of the costume.
The typical French maid costume includes:
- A black with white trim one-piece dress with a full skirt at or above knee length.
- White half-apron, usually with ruffle or lace
- A ruffled or lace headpiece
- Long stockings or tights. These can be white or black and vary from design to design.
- High Heels
- white lace garter
Optional accessories depend on design and context:
- other forms of complementary jewelry
The outfits are frequently worn to costume parties, and also used in drama/theater.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to French maid outfits.|