List of incidents of civil unrest in France
(Redirected from French riots)
- 1229 – University of Paris strike of 1229, riots at the University of Paris that resulted in a number of student deaths and reforms of the medieval university.
- 1562 – 1562 Riots of Toulouse, a series of events that pitted members of the Reformed Church of France (often called Huguenots) against members of the Roman Catholic Church in violent clashes that ended with the deaths of between 3,000–5,000 citizens of the French city of Toulouse.
- 1775 – Flour War, a wave of riots in April to May 1775, that followed an increase in grain and bread prices, because police withheld grain from the royal stores in addition to poor harvests.
- 1789–99 – French Revolution, a revolution that overthrew the monarchy, established a republic, experienced violent periods of political turmoil, and finally culminated in a dictatorship by Napoleon that forcibly brought many of its ideals to Western Europe
- 1848 – French demonstration of 15 May 1848, an event played out in the streets of Paris that was intended to reverse the results of a Second-Republic election of deputies to the Constituent Assembly
- 1910–11 – Champagne Riots, resulted from a series of problems faced by grape growers in the Champagne area of France.
- 1921 – Violence that broke out at the premiere of the play The Gas Heart.
- 1926 – Bloody Sunday, political clashes that occurred in Colmar, Alsace on August 22, 1926.
- 1947 – 1947 strikes in France, a series of insurrectional strikes
- 1968 – May 1968 events in France, a volatile period of civil unrest that was punctuated by demonstrations and massive general strikes as well as the occupation of universities and factories across France.
- 1981 – Rodéo (riot), riots that consisted of stealing cars, driving them in tight circles, and ultimately burning them
- 2005 – 2005 French riots, a series of riots that occurred in the suburbs of Paris and other French cities involving the burning of cars and public buildings at night.
- 2006 – 2006 youth protests in France, riots resulting from opposition to a measure set to deregulate labour in France.
- 2007 – 2007 Villiers-le-Bel riots, riots in the Val-d'Oise department that began following the deaths of two teenagers whose motorcycle collided with a police vehicle.
- 2007–09 – 2007–09 university protests in France, protest movements resulting from several reform projects under Minister for Higher Education and Research Valérie Pécresse.
- 2009 – 2009 French riots, a series of riots that occurred on Bastille Day (14 July) in the commune of Montreuil, an eastern suburb area of Paris.
- 2013 – 2013 Trappes riots, riots that broke out after police arrested a man who assaulted a police officer who tried to check the identity of his wife wearing a Muslim veil
- 2014 – 2014 Sarcelles riots, a pro-Palestinian protest against the Israeli ground invasion of Gaza degenerated into an antisemitic riot in Sarcelles, France.
- 2016 - 2016 French taxi driver strike, a strike by taxi drivers in several major cities against ride-sharing applications, such as Uber, included many road blockades, fires, overturned vehicles, and the blockade of roads leading to the two major airports in Paris.
- 2016 - Nuit debout, protests that grew out of opposition to proposed labor reforms.
- 2017 - Protests started following accusations a police officer anally raped a young black man with a baton. Anti-police protests continued well into March 2017 when migrants were met with resistance from Paris residents.
- 2017 - During May Day protests in Paris, a group of about 150 hooded demonstrators disrupted the march, throwing "Molotov cocktails, firebombs and other objects at the police near Place de la Bastille." These "violent protesters, who did not carry any union or election paraphernalia, appeared to be from the same fringe groups that have targeted anti-government protests in the past." Riot police responded with batons and tear gas. Six police officers were injured, two of them seriously, by petrol bombs.
- "One in five flights cancelled as France hit by aviation, taxi strikes". France 24. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "May Day in France: Six officers injured in riots". Ten Network Holdings. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "May Day violence breaks out in Paris; demonstrations around the world". Associated Press. May 1, 2017.
- "Riot officers injured after petrol bombs thrown in Paris clashes". ITV. May 1, 2017.