List of incidents of civil unrest in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from French riots)
- 1229 – University of Paris strike of 1229, riots at the University of Paris that resulted in a number of student deaths and reforms of the medieval university.
- 1562 – 1562 Riots of Toulouse, a series of events that pitted members of the Reformed Church of France (often called Huguenots) against members of the Roman Catholic Church in violent clashes that ended with the deaths of between 3,000–5,000 citizens of the French city of Toulouse.
- 1775 – Flour War, a wave of riots in April to May 1775, that followed an increase in grain and bread prices, because police withheld grain from the royal stores in addition to poor harvests.
- 1789–99 – French Revolution, a revolution that overthrew the monarchy, established a republic, experienced violent periods of political turmoil, and finally culminated in a dictatorship by Napoleon that forcibly brought many of its ideals to Western Europe
- 1848 – French demonstration of 15 May 1848, an event played out in the streets of Paris that was intended to reverse the results of a Second-Republic election of deputies to the Constituent Assembly
- 1910–11 – Champagne Riots, resulted from a series of problems faced by grape growers in the Champagne area of France.
- 1921 – Violence that broke out at the premiere of the play The Gas Heart.
- 1926 – Bloody Sunday, political clashes that occurred in Colmar, Alsace on August 22, 1926.
- 1947 – 1947 strikes in France, a series of insurrectional strikes
- 1968 – May 1968 events in France, a volatile period of civil unrest that was punctuated by demonstrations and massive general strikes as well as the occupation of universities and factories across France.
- 1981 – Rodéo (riot), riots that consisted of stealing cars, driving them in tight circles, and ultimately burning them
- 2005 – 2005 French riots, a series of riots that occurred in the suburbs of Paris and other French cities involving the burning of cars and public buildings at night.
- 2006 – 2006 youth protests in France, riots resulting from opposition to a measure set to deregulate labour in France.
- 2007 – 2007 Villiers-le-Bel riots, riots in the Val-d'Oise department that began following the deaths of two teenagers whose motorcycle collided with a police vehicle.
- 2007–09 – 2007–09 university protests in France, protest movements resulting from several reform projects under Minister for Higher Education and Research Valérie Pécresse.
- 2009 – 2009 French riots, a series of riots that occurred on Bastille Day (14 July) in the commune of Montreuil, a eastern suburb area of Paris.
- 2013 – 2013 Trappes riots, riots that broke out after police arrested a man who assaulted a police officer who tried to check the identity of his wife wearing a Muslim veil
- 2014 – 2014 Sarcelles riots, a pro-Palestinian protest against the Israeli ground invasion of Gaza degenerated into an antisemitic riot in Sarcelles, France.