French submarine Pluviôse
French submarine Pluviôse in Boulogne harbour
|Namesake:||The month of Pluviôse|
|Builder:||Arsenal de Cherbourg|
|Launched:||27 May 1907|
|Commissioned:||10 May 1908|
|Fate:||Sunk in collision, 26 May 1910, raised and returned to service|
|General characteristics (as built)|
|Class and type:||Pluviôse-class submarine|
|Length:||51.12 m (167 ft 9 in) (o/a)|
|Beam:||4.96 m (16 ft 3 in)|
|Draft:||3.15 m (10 ft 4 in)|
|Complement:||2 officers and 23 crewmen|
Design and construction
Pluviôse was ordered by the French Navy as part of its 1905 programme and was laid down at the Cherbourg Naval Yard in November of that year. She was launched on 27 May 1907 and commissioned 10 May 1908. Pluviôse was equipped with Du Temple boilers and reciprocating steam engines for surface propulsion, and CGE Nancy electric motors for power while submerged. She carried eight torpedoes, two internally and six externally. Pluviôse was named for a month of the French Revolutionary calendar.
On the afternoon of 26 May 1910 Pluviôse was cruising off Calais when she was involved in a collision with the packet boat Pas de Calais. Pluviôse sank with the loss of all hands, 27 men. The vessel was later raised and repaired, though she was not returned to front-line service, being disarmed and used for compression tests.
Her captain at the time of the accident Maurice Callot, was later honoured by having a submarine named after him.
Pluviôse was stricken in 1919 and sold for scrap in 1925.
- Jane p199
- Conway p209
- Couhat, Jean Labayle (1974). French Warships of World War I. London: Ian Allen. ISBN 0-7110-0445-5.
- Gardiner, Robert & Gray, Randal (1985). Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships 1906–1921. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-245-5.
- Garier, Gérard (2002). A l'épreuve de la Grande Guerre. L'odyssée technique et humaine du sous-marin en France (in French). 3–2. Bourg-en-Bresse, France: Marines édition. ISBN 2-909675-81-5.
- Garier, Gérard (1998). Des Émeraude (1905-1906) au Charles Brun (1908–1933). L'odyssée technique et humaine du sous-marin en France (in French). 2. Bourg-en-Bresse, France: Marines édition. ISBN 2-909675-34-3.
- Moore, J: Jane’s Fighting Ships of World War I (1919, reprinted 2003) ISBN 1 85170 378 0