Freshman 15 (band)
|Also known as||Xzamen|
|Origin||Gainesville, Georgia, United States|
|Genres||Pop punk, power pop|
|Years active||Since 2002|
|Members||Mike Baker – guitar, vocals (since 2011)
Davey Fortner – guitar, vocals (since 2002)
Leo Teran – drums (since 2011)
|Past members||Breck Blanchard – drums (2002–2009)
Rob Felicetti – guitar, vocals (2009–2011)
B.J. Formella – bass, vocals (2002–2009)
Chase Genn – guitar (2002–2005)
Davey Hoogerwerf – bass, vocals (2009–2012)
Jeremy Smith – guitar, vocals (2005–2009)
Don Muir – drums (2009)
Dave Tantao – drums (2009–2011)
Xzamen was composed of Davey Fortner (vocals and guitar), Chase Genn(guitar), B.J. Formella (bass and vocals) and Breck Blanchard (drums). Chase moved to another state and left the band, but shortly following Chase's departure, Jeremy Smith joined the band.
In early 2009, Davey Hoogerwerf, formerly of Red Car Wire, became the new bassist and backup vocalist, replacing Formella. Not long after, drummer Dave Tantao, formerly of We Are the In Crowd, also joined the band followed by guitarist Rob Felicetti (who would later join Patent Pending).
In 2011, drummer Leo Teran, as well as guitarist and vocalist Mike Baker, replaced Tanto and Felicetti.
In August 2008, the Ohio-based label StandBy Records signed the band for a full-length record. The result was its debut album, Throw up Your Hands for One Night Stands, released January 20, 2009. The album was generally well received by critics. The band toured in support of the album for most of 2009 and began working on new material in 2010, releasing three singles via their Myspace and Facebook modules.
An extended play, Talk of the Town, had a planned release of August 2010 but was pulled by the label in an effort to have the band concentrate on another full-length album. Dates and arrangements for the new album are yet to be announced.[clarification needed]
The band competed[when?] as a finalist, along with four other bands, in the Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands 14 in Los Angeles, California, at the Key Club in West Hollywood. Each band was picked as a finalist due to their performances on the Ernie Ball Stage on the 2010 Vans Warped Tour. Over 200 bands competed, but only five were selected as finalists. The band was confirmed for the 2011 Vans Warped Tour.
Fortner writes the lyrics and the majority of the band's music. In his words, "Most of our songs are about girls with a choice few [songs] about how screwed the industry is these days. And it's hard to say if I will ever move on to write about other stuff".
- Raiden – Stage antics (since 2012)
- Mike Baker – guitar, cyclops, vocals (since 2011)
- Davey Fortner – guitar, (Jordan Ingram Would) vocals (since 2002)
- Leo Teran – drums (since 2011)
- Patrick Tabb – drums (2002–2004)
- Breck Blanchard – drums (2004–2009)
- Rob Felicetti – guitar, vocals (2009–2011)
- Steven Garner – bass, vocals (2002-2006)
- B.J. Formella – bass, vocals (2006–2009)
- Chase Genn – guitar (2002–2005)
- Davey Hoogerwerf – bass, vocals (2009–2012)
- Jeremy Smith – guitar, vocals (2005–2009)
- Dave Tantao – drums (2009–2011)
- Don Muir – drums (2009)
- Mark "Bush Mayne" Bush – rap (2009–2011)
Independent Release as Xzamen Forgive Me (2006)
- [dead link] Vardous, Joshua (August 20, 2008). "Freshman 15 Signs Deal w/ StandBy Records". StandBy Records. Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- Staff (undated). "Interview with AMP Magazine". AMP Magazine. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- [not in citation given] Staff (undated). "About". Freshman 15 (via Facebook). Retrieved February 13, 2013.