Fresno Area Express
|Parent||City of Fresno|
|Service type||bus service, paratransit, bus rapid transit|
|Fuel type||Diesel, CNG|
|Chief executive||Brian Marshall|
The Fresno Area Express or FAX, is a bus line in Fresno, California. The line has over 100 buses and 16 fixed routes as of December 2013. FAX offers free transfers as well as wheelchair lifts and bike racks on all buses.
FAX fixed routes run from as far south as Malaga to Children's Hospital Central California in the north. Lines also run as far east as Fowler Avenue in Clovis, and as far west as Polk Avenue near Highway 99 in western Fresno.
FAX has paratransit operations called Handy Ride. Handy Ride is operated by a private contractor.
FAX will begin a trial implementation of a Bus Rapid Transit system on the Blackstone and Ventura/Kings Caynon transit corridors after it receives funding from the Federal Transit Administration Very Small Starts grant fund.
The public transportation system in Fresno started in January 1889. This was a horse car line. By 1926 Fulton Street was the hub of Fresno's business section. It had replaced Fresno and Mariposa Streets for commercial buildings and in so doing eliminated Fresno's only Nob Hill, all four feet of it. The streetcar era, which began in May 1887, on J Street, was one of three streetcar lines in the young city. In 1901 the Fresno City Railway Company merged the three and in the spring of 1903 the Fresno Traction Company, then the owners, converted the lines to electricity. These electric streetcars operated on approximately 42 miles of track by the mid-twenties. The electric streetcars were used until 1939, when the transit company replaced them with buses.
- 1887-1901 Fresno City, Belmont & Yosemite Railroad
- 1901-1915 Fresno City Railway
- 1915-1939 Fresno Traction Co.
- 1939 sold to National City Lines/streetcars discontinued
- 1939-1946 Fresno City Lines
- 1946-1961 Fresno City Lines, Inc.
- 1961 City of Fresno Takes over Municipal Bus Service
- 1961-1969 Fresno Municipal Lines
- After 1969 Fresno Transit
- 1989 Name Changed to Fresno Area Express or FAX
- Route 9 - Shields & Brawley / Shaw Crosstown
- Route 20 - N Hughes / N Marks
- Route 22 - N West Ave. / East Tulare
- Route 26 - N Palm / Peach / Clinton Crosstown
- Route 28 - FSU / MTC / Ventura / Community Regional Medical Center
- Route 30 - River Park / N Blackstone / West Fresno
- Route 32 - River Park / N Fresno / Manchester Center / SW Fresno
- Route 33 - Belmont Crosstown
- Route 34 - NE Fresno / N First / SW Fresno
- Route 35 - Olive Crosstown
- Route 38 - Chukchansi Park / River Park / N Cedar / SW Fresno
- Route 39 - Clinton Avenue Crosstown
- Route 41 - N Marks / Shields / MTC / Chestnut
- Route 45 - W Herndon / Fruit / Ashlan / Fowler
- Route 58 - NE Regular Service
- Route 58E - Children's Hospital Central California Express
- Route 10 - Fresno State University / Northwest Clovis
- Route 50 - Northeast Clovis / Southwest Clovis
- Route 70 - Reagan Education Center Express
- Route 80 - Buchanan Education Center Express
|0101-0102||2000||OBI||Orion VI HEV
|Detroit Diesel Series 30||Lockheed Martin/BAE Systems HybriDrive|
|0301-0325||2002||OBI||Orion V CNG
C Gas Plus
|0511-0512||2005||NFI||GE40LF||Ford Triton V10 6.8L
|ISE-Siemens Thundervolt TB40-HG hybrid system|
C Gas Plus
|0917||2009||NFI||GE40LFR||Ford Triton V10 6.8L
|ISE Thundervolt TB40-HG hybrid system|
|1101||2011||Gillig||BRT CNG 40'
|1102-1109||2012||Gillig||BRT CNG 40'
|1201-1203||2012||Gillig||BRT CNG 29'
|1401-1410||2014||Gillig||BRT CNG 40'
|1901-1904||2004||Optima||AH-28 CNG||Cummins Westport
B Gas Plus
|Cummins M11E||Voith D864.3||Some units are still active as training coaches as of 2015.|
|9901-9910||1999||Gillig||Low Floor 40'
|Cummins ISC||Voith D864.3||All units are active as back up fleet as of 2015.|
|7001-7019||1969||Flxible||111CC-D5-1||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison||Formerly Fresno Transit.|
|7701-7750||1976||Flxible||53102-8-1||Detroit Diesel 8V71N||Allison V730||Formerly Fresno Transit.|
|Detroit Diesel 6V71T||Allison V730||
|Detroit Diesel 6V92TA||Formerly Fresno Transit.|
|Detroit Diesel 6V92TAC||Voith D863.3|
|Detroit Diesel 6V92TAC||Voith D863.3||1 Gillig Phantom was donated to Fresno Fire Dept. Emergency Support 1; unknown what year it was built.|
|Cummins L10E||Voith D864.3||9301, 9306, 9307, 9312, 9313, 9318 to CyRide 711-716.|
|Cummins M11||Voith D864.3||9410 to CyRide 717.|
|Detroit Diesel Series 50||Voith D864.3|
|8101-8112||1981||Grumman Flxible||870 40102-6C|
|8401-8412||1984||Flxible||Metro 'A' 35102-6T|