Friday Night at the Village Vanguard
|Friday Night at the Village Vanguard|
|Live album by Art Pepper|
|Recorded||29 July 1977|
|Producer||Lester Koenig & John Koenig|
|Art Pepper chronology|
Art Pepper played at the Village Vanguard jazz club in New York City twice during 1977. The second occasion was recorded and was released as three albums: Thursday Night at the Village Vanguard, Friday Night at the Village Vanguard and Saturday Night at the Village Vanguard. Further tracks appeared on the album More for Les: At the Village Vanguard Vol. 4 and a complete record of Pepper's residency was subsequently released as The Complete Village Vanguard Sessions.
In the sleeve notes, Pepper says of his own tunes:
My tunes are very difficult to read and interpret. I write down all the parts, and ask my group to play it like it's written for a while and then just use it as a guide and play with their own feelings.
Of "But Beautiful" he says:
Billie Holiday sang this song so beautifully. I've always been influenced by the way a good singer can express something beyond the words of a song. I try to express the quality of the human voice when I'm playing a ballad.
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD Fourth Edition, 1998|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
- "Las Cuevas de Mario" (Art Pepper) — 11:08
- "But Beautiful" (Jimmy Van Heusen; Johnny Burke) — 10:17
- "Caravan" (Edward Kennedy Ellington; Juan Tizol; Irving Mills) — 13:29
- "Labyrinth" (Art Pepper) — 12:10
- "A Night In Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie) - 5:45 - CD Bonus Track
- (Recorded July 29, 1977.)
- Art Pepper — alto saxophone; tenor saxophone on "Caravan"
- George Cables — piano
- George Mraz — bass
- Elvin Jones — drums