Friday on Elm Street
|Friday on Elm Street|
|Studio album by Fabolous and Jadakiss|
|Released||November 24, 2017|
|Singles from Friday on Elm Street|
Friday on Elm Street (originally titled Freddy vs. Jason) is a collaborative studio album by American rappers Fabolous and Jadakiss. It was released on November 24, 2017, by Street Family Records, Roc Nation, D-Block Records, Def Jam Recordings. The album is preceded by one single, "Stand Up" featuring Future.
Fabolous and Jadakiss have collaborated on a number of tracks, including "Respect It", "The Hope", "B.E.T.", Young Jeezy's "OJ" and Troy Ave's "Do Me No Favors". The album is the speculated horror theme suggested by the title named after two of horror’s most popular villains Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees. On January 7, 2017, Fabolous and Jadakiss had an interview with HipHopDX and Fab described the theme of the album during the interview.
|“||"...Jason, you knew he was killer. You knew his work and you knew what he do. Freddy was a killer, and he might be a little more witty, cuz he talk more. The Jason character didn’t really say much, but you knew he was there. You can’t even escape it. Once you heard those footsteps, you knew he was in the area. There’s a lot of comparisons when you want to compare to things, but that was one of the ones we were looking at with Freddy vs. Jason. When it came to villains, they were always the two that were brought up."||”|
Release and promotion
On February 29, 2016, Fabolous posted a picture on Instagram with Jadakiss with the caption, "Freddy vs. Jason coming soon". This indicates that Fabolous and Jadakiss are releasing a joint mixtape titled, Freddy vs. Jason. On March 31, 2016, Fabolous releases a snippet of a Metro Boomin-produced song on Instagram that will appear on the album. On April 2, 2016, Fabolous and Jadakiss released a freestyle of Future's "Wicked" from his mixtape, Purple Reign (2016). That same day, Jadakiss tweeted "#FreddyVsJason" to promote the album.
On March 16, 2016, Fabolous confirmed he was releasing a project with Jadakiss, "Oh yeah man, he came to my party out at CIAA in Charlotte and we was talking about doing a couple things and one was to do a mixtape[…]I wanna do a mixtape, but we're gonna go through iTunes too." In October 2016, Lenny "Kodak Lens" Santiago, Senior Vice President of Roc Nation, told fans to prepare for the joint project. "Be excited about Fabolous and Jadakiss and what they’ve been talking about for months," he told Rap-Up. On January 17, 2017, the official trailer for the album was released. It's a blend of The Blair Witch Project, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th. It's about a young woman running for her life, only to be disappointed, in tears, and haunted by a familiar yet frightening tune.
On November 21, 2017, the tracklist was officially revealed, and the album's title was changed to "Friday on Elm Street," as legal issues prevented the duo from naming it "Freddy vs Jason."
On January 13, 2017, the promotional single, "Rapture" featuring Tory Lanez was released. The song was produced by Vinylz and Cam O'Bi, which samples Anita Baker's, "Caught Up in the Rapture". The album's lead single "Stand Up" featuring Future was released on October 31, 2017.
Friday on Elm Street debuted at number 10 on the Billboard 200 with 33,000 album-equivalent units, of which 18,000 were pure album sales. It is Fabolous' sixth US top 10 album and Jadakiss' fifth.
|Friday on Elm Street|
|1.||"F vs. J Intro"||4:04|
|2.||"Stand Up" (featuring Future)||Reazy Renegade||3:21|
|3.||"Theme Music" (featuring Swizz Beatz)||Swizz Beatz||3:13|
|4.||"Ground Up"||Grade A||3:12|
|6.||"Principles"||Neo da Matrix||3:06|
|7.||"Talk About It" (featuring Teyana Taylor)||4:36|
|8.||"All About It" (featuring French Montana)||3:21|
|9.||"I Pray" (featuring Swizz Beatz)||3:36|
|10.||"Ice Pick" (performed by Jadakiss featuring Styles P)||Pav Bundy||2:52|
|11.||"Nightmares Ain't As Bad" (performed by Fabolous)||2:13|
|12.||"Stand Up (Remix)" (featuring Future, Yo Gotti and Jeezy)||Reazy Renegade||5:33|
- ^[a] signifies a co-producer
- ^[b] signifies an additional producer
- ^[c] signifies an uncredited co-producer
- "Ground Up" features background vocals from Luis Santiago
- "Soul Food" features background vocals from Daphne Larue
- "Principles" features background vocals from Range
- "Nightmares Ain't As Bad" features background vocals from Kissie Lee
- "F vs J Intro" contains elements from "I’m Glad You’re Mine", written and performed by Al Green and "You’re a Customer", written and performed by EPMD.
- "Theme Music" contains elements from "Far Cry", written and performed by Marvin Gaye.
- "Ground Up" contains elements from "Breakthrough", written and performed by Isaac Hayes.
- "Soul Food" contains elements from "I'm Willing To Run All The Way", written by Glen Jones and performed by Glenn Jones and The Modulations.
- "Talk About It" contains elements from "Can We Talk", performed by Tevin Campbell.
- "I Pray" contains elements from "Hands of God", written and performed by Adrian Younge.
Credits adapted from Tidal.
|US Billboard 200||10|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||3|
- Armstrong, Megan (November 1, 2017). "Fabolous & Jadakiss Give Their 'Friday on Elm Street' Project Black Friday Release Date". Billboard. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- "Friday On Elm Street by Fabolous & Jadakiss". Apple Music. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- Simmons, Ted (2016-03-01). "Fabolous and Jadakiss Announce 'Freddy vs. Jason' Mixtape". XXL. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Hailey, Johnathan (2016-03-01). "Fabolous Announces Joint Mixtape with Jadakiss 'Freddy Vs. Jason'". Radio.com. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Lamarre, Carl (2017-01-11). "Interview: Fabolous & Jadakiss Still Sitting On "Freddy Vs. Jason" Tomb". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2017-08-01.
- Smith, Trevor (2016-02-29). "Fabolous & Jadakiss Announce "Freddy Vs. Jason"". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- Goddard, Kevin (2016-03-31). "Fabolous Previews PartyNextDoor Punchline On Upcoming Metro Boomin-Produced Song". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- Goddard, Kevin (2016-04-02). "Fabolous & Jadakiss - Wicked (Freestyle) | Stream [New Song]". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- "NEW MUSIC: FABOLOUS & JADAKISS – 'WICKED (FREESTYLE)'". Rap-Up. 2016-04-02. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- Whitt, Greg (2016-03-16). "Fabolous Confirms The 'Freddy Vs. Jason' Album With Jadakiss Is Really Coming Out". Uproxx. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- Goddard, Kevin (2017-01-13). "Fabolous & Jadakiss - Rapture Feat. Tory Lanez (Prod. By Vinylz & Cam O'Bi) [New Song]". e.g. Hot New Hip Hop. Retrieved 2017-08-01.
- "New Music: Fabolous & Jadakiss feat. Tory Lanez – 'Rapture'". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2017-08-01.
- Mojica, Nick (2017-11-21). "Fabolous and Jadakiss Share 'Friday on Elm Street' Album Tracklist and Cover". XXL. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
- Penrose, Nerisha (October 31, 2017). "Fabolous & Jadakiss Link Up With Future on 'Stand Up'". Billboard. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- Caulfield, Keith (December 3, 2017). "Taylor Swift's 'Reputation' Spends Third Week at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Friday On Elm Street / Fabolous". Tidal. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- "Fabolous Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "Fabolous Chart History (Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved December 5, 2017.