|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||Putney, London, England, UK|
|Genres||Post-rock, experimental, minimalist, experimental techno|
|Labels||Domino RecordsOutput Recordings
Go! Beat Records
Fridge are a UK post-rock band, comprising school friends Kieran Hebden, Adem Ilhan, and Sam Jeffers. Initially Hebden played guitar, Ilhan bass, and Jeffers drums, but Hebden and Ilhan soon adopted a variety of other instruments, and by 1999's Eph the sampler was playing an increasingly important role in the group's music. Hebden, Ilhan and Jeffers all attended Elliott School in Putney, which has become regarded as a hotbed for musical talent; other notable alumni including Hot Chip, Burial and The xx - all of which members of Fridge have worked with.
Hebden began a solo career in the late 1990s under the name Four Tet while the other two members attended college. Ilhan has also released three solo albums, Homesongs (2004), Love and Other Planets (2006), and Takes (2008) under the name Adem. The band's fifth album (and first in six years), The Sun, was released in June 2007.
The three musicians have also worked on occasion as the backing band for Badly Drawn Boy, and remixed his single Another Pearl.
Fridge also played their first public gig in six years, at Bardens Boudoir in Dalston, London on 9 August 2007. They followed this up with a performance at the 2007 Field Day festival in Victoria Park, London.
- Ceefax (Output Recordings, 1997)
- Semaphore (Output Recordings, 1998)
- Eph (Go! Beat Records, 1999; reissued in 2002 with a bonus disc containing the combined material from Kinoshita Terasaka and Of EPs)
- Happiness (Text Records, 2001)
- The Sun (Text Records (UK), Temporary Residence Limited (US), 2007)
- Sevens and Twelves (Output Recordings, 1998)
- Two-CD compilation of all the singles and EPs recorded for Output (Lojen, Anglepoised, Lign and Orko), previously released only on vinyl
- Early Output 1996–1998 (Temporary Residence, 2009)
EPs and singles
- "Lojen" (Output Recordings, 1997)
- "Anglepoised" EP (Output Recordings, 1997)
- "Lign" EP (Output Recordings, 1998)
- "Orko" EP (Output Recordings, 1998)
- "Kinoshita Terasaka" EP (Go! Beat Records, 1999)
- "Of" EP (Go! Beat Records, 1999)
- Brain in the Wire
- Thank You (Temporary Residence Limited, 2004)
- Destroy Independent Music! (2006–2007, Temporary Residence Limited) sampler