Fried dill pickles were popularized by Bernell "Fatman" Austin in 1963 at the Duchess Drive In located in Atkins, Arkansas. The Fatman's Recipe is only known to his family and used once each year at the annual Picklefest in Atkins, held each May. The recipe for Fried pickle at Wikibooks is a general one.
Fried pickles are served at food festivals and menus of individual and chain restaurants throughout the United States and elsewhere. They can be eaten as an appetizer or as an accompaniment to other dishes. Fried pickles are frequently served with a ranch or other creamy sauce for dipping.
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|
- Jones, Janie and Jones, Wyatt (2010). Arkansas Curiosities: Quirky Characters, Roadside Oddities & Other Offbeat Stuff. Globe Pequot Press. p. 142. ISBN 978-0-7627-4894-5.
- Triplette, Laurie (June 20, 2014). "On Cooking Southern: Pickles to Fry For". HottyToddy.com. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Taylor, Nelson (2000). America Bizarro: A Guide to Freaky Festivals, Groovy Gatherings, Kooky Contests, and Other Strange Happenings Across the USA. St. Martin's Griffin. p. 11. ISBN 978-0-312-26286-0.
- Alfeld, Beverly and Couch, Ron (2008). Pickles to Relish. Pelican Publishing. p. 189. ISBN 978-1-58980-489-0.
- Rowe, Trent (March 4, 2010). "Restaurant Review - Hooters (Lakeland, Fla)". TheLedger.com. The Ledger.
- Christiansen, J. and Campbell, L. (May 1, 1998). "Crocodile Lounge a high class swamp". Salt Lake City: The Deseret News.
- Harris, Jenn (November 19, 2014). "Boozy nachos and fried pickles at new Pasadena Whole Foods restaurant". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Buechel, Jennifer (December 1, 2014). "Inside the Kitchen with Jenny Buechel at Farwell's MAD Cafe". Tustin, Michigan: WWTV 9&10 News. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Butter, Susannah (January 21, 2014). "Where to eat deep-fried pickles in London". London Evening Standard (London, United Kingdom). Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- "Lobster Kitchen, Great Russell Street, WC1". Islington Gazette (London, United Kingdom). December 1, 2014. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
... the deep fried pickles were tangy little beasts and ...
- "Recipe: Fried pickles". The Accidental Scientist: Science of cooking. Exploratorium.edu.